Chapter 3

Damian's POV
I watched Mar'i as she slept, she slept like a kitten, curled up against my chest. I knew I should be sleeping as well for various reasons such as the explosion having impacted me, I had watched over Mar'i when she had been unconscious and it must be around 12 about now. But I couldn't bring myself to sleep. I kept thinking what if something happened like someone were to attack and hurt Mar'i. Which was considerable ridiculous this was a secure location which even Batman had trouble locating. I feel like I had failed her I couldn't couldn't leave her unprotected now.
So I stayed up and watched her sleep. Strands of her hair fell on her face which I quickly pushed back. Her breathing was a little heavy,  too heavy for Mar'i. But I shook it of as and impact of the explosion. Actually come to think of it... I placed my hand on Mar'i  forehead. It wasn't warm. Something was wrong Mar'i inherited her average body temperature from her Tamaranian mother. Her temperature seemed to be decreasing,  however it was quite humid in this jungle.
Mar'i had started to shiver,  I pulled her closer to me. I had known the temperatures of our mission location and not thought to bring a thermal blanket. Mar'i held me tighter,  as if grasping for the heat she was lacking. I smoothed down her hair in an attempt to calm her sleeping form. She relaxed but continued to shiver slightly.
I sighed,  wanting to help her, however knowing whatever this was it would have to wait until morning. Perhaps the sun will provide her with energy.
I looked her again, thinking of past memories that we shared. Thinking of the moments I had realised I loved her and thought she so fierce and strong. How could she possibly love me the same?
I kissed her forehead, and whispered,  "I'll get us out of here,  Mar'i."