Chapter 14

Mar'is POV

Batman had called for meeting of the league and the meeting was being broadcasted to all non-league members through an encrypted frequency. The Titans decided it was best to meet at the tower to watch the broadcast.

Batman took lead in briefing those in attendance, "We've received intel that an army approaches us and will be making it's opening attack on Gotham."

Here at the tower, Cerdian whispered, "When does something bad not happen to Gotham?"

Damian looked at Cerdian and seemed ready to say something particularly rude back, but I beat him to it, "Cerdian, this is an actual crisis, would it kill you to pay attention not be a criticizing prick right now."

That shut him up. As I turned back to the screen, I saw Damian give me a small smirk.

Batman called my mother to help him explain the plan. Even though she wasn't part of the league, she knew more about the Citedalians then most.

Batman began to explain, "All those able to breathe in space will form an opening attack to weaken the force approaching. However, this is merely a weakening team. The team will rendezvous back on earth where the remaining Leaguers will be waiting to retaliate. The league of assassins has chosen to ally themselves with the Citedalians as well. So, we will have a team observing the less obvious means of attacking Gotham"

My mother spoke, "We will be sending the titans to scout the Citedalian fleet and the league, but for purely information purposes. If engagement can be avoided it would be helpful. We need as many able heroes as possible to defeat the Citedalians."

"Exactly who will be where will be told to you at a later staged as this frequency may be tapped, signing off."

The screen went black.

We all turned to face each other, and I spoke, "Superboy, Miss Martian and I are doing recon for the Citedalians."

Robin said next, "Batgirl, Speedy and I will be doing recon on the league. Aquaboy and Wondergirl will be going back to Wonder woman and Aquaman to help prepare the Amazons and the Atlanteans."

"Nightingale and Abuse will stay here and manage the crime. Impulse and Zatara will go to Gotham to assist manage the crime there."

"Any questions?"

There was a heavy silence, everyone knew they were going to war and we didn't know who would die.

I spoke up, "Listen, if worst comes to worst... I couldn't have asked for a better team."

So, it wasn't eloquent, well I didn't prepare to say it.

Colin smiled, "Let's hope it doesn't come to that. This isn't goodbye."

Impulse laughed, "I'll tell you all something, if you survive, I'll buy 30 burgers."

He then zoomed away while Zatara called after him, "You would eat them yourself anyway!"

With that everyone departed to get ready for their own missions. The scouting missions were to leave as soon as possible. I was packing a duffel bag, when I heard my door slide open.

"Are you duplicating my preparedness?", asked Damian from behind me.

I smirk without turning around, "Problem?"

He was quiet. I turn around to see him looking uncomfortable. It was not often that Damian sported this expression, so I was thoroughly confused on what to do.

I raised an eyebrow and asked, "What's up?"

He drew in a breath to speak but said nothing. I waited patiently. He did it again and I couldn't help myself.

"The Great Damian Wayne at a loss for words."

He scowled and turned to leave. "I'm sorry," I said quickly, "Just tell me what's bothering you."

He turned back around, leaned on the wall and crossed his arms as he stared determinedly at my cupboard. After a moment, he said, carefully, "I do not consider you incapable, but I dislike the idea of you traveling at such a near proximity to the enemy."

I was about to tell to not worry about me, when he suddenly moved forward and kissed me. He said heavily, "I fear for your life"

"You say that as though you're not putting yourself in just as much danger. Frankly, I'm probably safer as far away from Talia as possible. Really you're the one in more danger."

He didn't laugh, just held onto me as though he was afraid to let go. I held onto him too, to let him feel that I had him, that I would try my best to come back to him.

It was at that moment my door slid open and Lian walked in, "Mar'i, do you know where-? "

There was a moment shock as she processed the scene before her. When she recovered, she exclaimed, "Really, Mar'i? The world is ending and you choose Mr. Sunshine and Rainbows here. Finish your quickie fast. We needa go."

"Li , wait-"

"Don't worry, Mar," she turned and winked, "Secret's safe with me."

I collapsed on the bed and facepalmed, "She's never gonna let me live this down."

Damian said, quietly, "As long as you live."

I looked at Damian, "I'll be careful, so should you."

He said, defensively, "I'm always careful."

I smirked and raised an eyebrow. Damian sighed, "Alright," he sat down next to me, "I promise to not be my reckless self, if you do the same."

"I'm not the one you have to worry about but fine, I promise."

I leapt off the bed, "Let's go."

Damian got up and kissed me again, "Just come back to me."

And with that he left and I swallowed and whispered, "You come back to me."

Okay so explanation time, I haven't updated because 1- Writers block and 2- my computer crashed and i find it really hard to write on the phone. Also a message to all the loyal demonfire shippers, THANK YOU! BBRAE FOR LIFE, what even was the Robrae ship in Apokilips War.

Sorry for the late update again.