Chapter 13

Damian's POV

Per Mari's request, we assembled in the kitchen while Alfredo served us pancakes with chocolate sauce (Maris favorite). However no one touched the food from the suspense.
All eyes were on Mari and I know she hated that.
She took a deep breath and told us about the visit with Talia. That the citedalians were going to invest Gotham.
"If the Cidelians are invading they will not settle for just one city. They will include your entire planet.", Mrs Grayson said, worriedly.
Grayson's eyebrows furrowed," How sure are we that she's telling the truth."
Father replied, "What possible gain could she have from this? Having us fully prepared for attack?"
Grayson sighed, "If this is a full invasion we need to let everyone know."
Father nodded and got up from his seat,"I'll inform the league."
I rose and faced Mari," I'll send messages to the team infromimg them to meet us here. If Gotham is to be the starting point of the invasion perhaps it will be best for us to assemble here."
Mari nodded," Leave Iris and Jai in the city to hold the fort."
I nodded in agreement.
Father turned to Kori," You have first hand experience with the aliens. Your council would be very useful."
Kori nodded, "I will assist where I can."
Mari stood up,"Damian, let's go contact the team."
I followed her to my room, took out my tablet and sent an encrypted message to all Titan members to head to Gotham and that Jai and Iris should stay to guard the city.
As soon as I put the tablet down, I turned to Mari who was staring off into the distance out the window with a blank face.
"What do you contemplate?", I asked
She smiled before looking at me, "A million and one things."
I walked to the bed and sat down next to her.
"You may share your burdens with me."
She looked up at me , "I know Damian.", she judged her head on my shoulder, "I know. I'm sorry for how much trouble I was on the island. If I hadn't-"
"Hadn't what?" I cut her off, sharply, " been unyielding, foolishly adventurous, fun-loving despite the danger, not listening to reason, being the woman i love."
She had been cringing at my words, but she looked up in shock, speechless at my last comment.
I narrowed my eyes in confusion, "Why are you surprised? I had confessed my love on the island."
She looked down at her hands, which she was wringing, " You don't think I'm-", she swallowed, like the words were difficult to get out, "those guys-"
She bit her lip ,unable to continue. She wouldn't meet my eyes.
"Mar'i, look at me."
She sighed and looked up, crossing her arms and gripping her elbows tightly.
"I think no less of you for what occurred, those men were despicable, as is my mother for ordering them. You were incapacitated. I ask you do not think less of yourself either."
She blinded rapidly and suddenly engulfed me in a hug, "Thank you, Damian, for taking care of me on the island, for comforting me now. I love you."
I wrapped my arms around her. Physical contact wasn't familiar to me ,but holding Mar'i... It felt natural, felt good.
"You are my Beloved, Mar'i", I whispered into her ear.
She gripped me tighter, and said sadly," War is coming, Damian."
I pulled back and took her hand, holding it up between us and stared directly into her emerald eyes, sparkling with her soul, and said with determination, "We'll fight together."
A fierceness overtook her features and she smiled, " We'll protect each other and our family."
I gave her a ghost smile, "And the world."
I touched my forehead to hers, "Together."