Chapter 9

Damian

I helped Mar'i up from the ground, as she tried to reach behind her to zip up her uniform.
"Here let me."
Her body tensed at my touch, "Mari, I'm not going to hurt you." I say gently.
I swiftly zip up her uniform to not further her discomfort. I cup her face gently but she moves back, shaking her head , almost panicked, " Don't don't touch me."
"I swear never to harm you-"
She hold up a hand and takes a shaky breath, " I know, it's just-"
A red light fell in the room and an alarm bell blared. Mari slammed her palms to her ears and screamed, "It's so loud."
I was confused, the sound was annoying but not loud enough to cause that reaction, " Mari? What-"
There was a loud resonating metallic bang, they were trying to open the doors. Who knew how many soldiers were behind it? Without Mar'i , chance of fighting through them all were slim.
I grab her hand, "We need to get out, now!"
I pulled her through the exit door, only to be cornered by another band of assassins. I pushed Mar'i behind me, there was no way out besides the path they blocked,  I had to fight them-
A blast of purple shot past me and incinerated all 13 of the assassins. I swirl around to see Mar'i floating and simmering purple outlined her figure as her eyes glowed dangerously. Despite the power she radiated her voice spoke with panic, "Damian, I don't feel right."
I'd seen Mar'i radiate energy before but not to this extent, I didn't know what to say other then, "We need leave and bring you to your mother she'll know what to do."
Mari took a deep breath, "Yeah yeah okay. "
We took off through the hallway, me running and Mar'i flying right next to me, until we crashed through a door to see the open sky and sun above us. The triumph was short lived when I heard Mari start to scream, her hands to her head and her body illuminated with purple light, so Mari herself was barely visible, "Mar'i, what's happening?"
I meant to move to her but a strong arm pulled me backward, "Get the fuck off me!"
I was about to hit back but I saw my restrainer was Nightwing, too say I was shocked at the familiar masked face is an understatement but right now the fact hardly mattered,"Something is happening to her! We need to help-"
Mar'i's father looked pained, " I wanna help too, but her mother's got this."
I turn to see red and green shoot towards the purple light that was Mari.
Starfire's loving voice spoke to the blinding purple, "Mar'i, my little bumgorf, I'm here. If you can hear me grab my hand okay, reach to me, Mar'i. I'm going to help you."
Mar'i continued to shriek, I couldn't hear this. "Grayson we have to help her!"
"Wait, Damian! Kori is the only one who can help her, if we go near her like that , the energy will burn us to ash"
Kori seemed to have grabbed hold of Mar'i hand and suddenly was absorbed into the purple mass of energy.
But then the light began to dim fainter until I saw Mari collapse into her mother's ready arms. Kori was breathing heavily and I took off in a sprint to check on Mar'i, Grayson right next to me.
"Will she be alright?"
Kori smiled, " Yes but we need to move her from the sunligh-"
*Crack* An arrow would have hit us had Nightwing not crushed it with his eskima stick.
I hated how distracted I was.
"Something tells me they don't want us here. We better leave now. "
"Agreed"
Kori flew with Mari ahead of us, Grayson and I following close behind, dodging an assortment of bullets and arrows. And then we came to the ledge, Kori paused to look at us but I ordered, "Go!"
Kori looked to Grayson, who nodded, " We're right behind you."
Kori dives, shooting down towards a black mass that I assume to be the Bat-Sub. The assassins advanced.
I pull out my grappling hook, "Grayson, Jump!"
Without hesitation, we jumped and I shoot upward.
Grayson's grabbed onto the jumpline about 2 metres above me. Grayson screamed down to me as the jumpline ," Are we going to just going to run through all this jungle?"
I glare up, "I'm open to alternate plans."
The jumpline shook and suddenly we were falling. They must have unhooked it and now the ground closed in, the green appeared just as infinite as the sea. And I felt the suddenness of impending death slow time.
Memories; my Grandfather proud stare, my Mothers dissapointed frown, the day I met my Father and moments I'd shared with my entire family, where at the time I remember feeling agitated I now reminisced, for I may never see them again. And most vividly, the image of Mar'i smiling floats in my head. If I were to cease to exist at this moment, knowing she was safe, feeling what it was like to have been with someone who accepted and loved me even for the short time we had, to have found a light to love my darkness... I can greet death as a friend.

And the memories vanished, replaced by black nothingness.