April

April's POV

Every day at work is basically the same. Someone comes in an ambulance surgery is performed, and the person either dies or lives. As a surgeon people think you get used to death. I'm not.

I finish suturing up a girl when an ambulance comes in. It is a 30-year-old man who was in a car accident. 

"I got him,"I say as I rush him to a room. His face is messed up so I page Jackson. 

"April are you okay?" Jackson asks.

"Yeah, I'm not the one who needs surgery."

Jackson looks at his face and says he will do surgery now.

"Come scrub in with me."

"I don't really do plastics."

"April come," Jackson says as I follow him out of the room.

When I leave the room everyone is staring at me. I do the surgery with Jackson, It is successful. As Jackson and I are scrubbing out Owen walks in and shakes his head at Jackson then walks out.

"What was that about?" I ask.

"Nothing" he quickly replies. I leave to go check on another patient. 

"April we need to talk." We go into an empty patient room.

"What is it?"

"So you know how there was a car crash, and there were two victims. Well, the other one didn't survive.

"Oh, really how did they die."

"No April, the patient was your mom."

The funny thing is death seems so natural. Everybody tells you it's okay when people die, that they're going to a better place. But when you lose someone you love it seems everything but natural.

"no no no, it can't be." Jackson pulls me into a hug. I start crying

He grabs my head. "Shhhh Its gonna be okay." 

I push him away and run out the door. I run out of the building and into the parking lot.

"Moommmmm!" I scream with all my lungs. I lay down on the cold wet concrete, and look up at the stars. I cry remembering all the amazing memories of my mom. 

You never really know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.