Chapter 28

*Maeko P.O.V*

We arrive to the courthouse and I fix my suit before we get out. Kalij tries to find a parking space so we wouldn't have to walk that far but court on a Monday morning is nearly impossible to find a spot. After looking around, and multiple stolen parking spots we find a good spot. It was under a tree, so the car was catching all the shade.

Kalij parks the car then shuts it off. Mom turns around in her seat and looks at me.

"Are you okay?" She asks.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I ask back.

"Because I know today will be tough on you. Just remember that you have all of us here to support you today. Be calm and be honest." She says.

"Hmm. Don't know what you mean by that but okay." I say.

We all exit the car and begin our walk up into the courthouse. I drag behind a little and Tommy and Lando slow down to walk with me.

"How you really feeling?" Tommy asks, once I get near.

"Really don't know how to feel." I shrug. "Just want this to be over and done."

"Soon Maeko. We got to get through this today and we will be done with it I hope. I know you was debating on if Derrick should get off or not. Have you decided?" Lando asks.

"That's up to the jury. I didn't get shot." I say.

Tommy opens the door and we walk into the courthouse. Mom and Kalij are standing by the desk with the clerk to be directed to the court room we would be going in.

"Just stay positive Maeko. We got your back." Tommy pats my shoulder reassuringly.

"Makes me feel safe." I fake smile. I feel my phone vibrating and I look down at it to see a missed call from Dino and a voicemail. I unlock my phone to listen to the voicemail until he sends a very crazy text to my phone. I read over the text and frown. He's so overdramatic.

I decide to text him back.

EveryThing2Me: I actually didn't listen to your voicemail first off, and secondly what the fuck are you talking about? I'm at the courthouse so I can't just answer the phone. But nice to know how you feeling.

I knew he would feel a tad bit salty after I sent him that. I love my dude but he has definitely got to chill out a bit. I spot Za'nae and her sister coming in and I wave her over.

They notice me and begin walking over to my direction. Lando turns around and stares at them. I know Za'nae and him haven't really been around each other since that incident with us happened. To say it wasn't strange would be a lie.

"Hey Ko..." She smiles at me. "Wassup Lando and Tommy." She says, not as enthusiastically.

"None chilling." Lando responds.

"Hmm." She looks off.

Bj, Milo, and Japree enter through the door with their family. I knew my Dad and other sister and brother would be coming down but I don't know when. They all looked sharp with their tuxes on. We couldn't be average teens living a regular life. We had to get caught up in the shit. That's not what everything started as last year. We actually had fun and enjoyed each other. I hope to get back to that at some point.

They all walk over and we all have our meet and greet. Last time we saw each other like this was when we were at the hospital. I was hurting and Brenden was trying to push up on me still. I laugh to myself because we had some good times. We all basically head over to the courtroom we would be in because we were all minors at the time this case would be private but that didn't mean the press wouldn't be outside after the ruling is made.