Chapter 18

The silence was deadly in the woods, I reached the cottage and I hid behind the trees.

I decided to check the parameter first, I circled around the cottage and I noted every single detail.

The cottage's windows had no curtains so I can see through, one room  was lighted and the others were dark. The cottage had a back door which opened to more trees and bushes, I circled once more and the front door opened, I saw a bald man looking intently outside, surely, they felt my presence, I glimpsed two figures standing behind him, they were definitely not feminine figures.

Guessing from the note left to me on my windowsill these were the assassins, I remember Mare debriefing me about her encounter with them, i hope they didn't increase in number but I'm sure with my fire I could take all of them out.

I had a plan which was to sneak inside set my family free and then whatever happens is ok as long as; both of them are safe.

I snuck to the back door and stood silent wishing no one can hear my fast beating heart.

The door was a very light wooden door, thankfully not a heavy one, it was locked by a metal lock, If I crack it open I will draw attention, so, I released my gift. fire cracked from my hands and I melted the lock. I was about to barge into the room but I feared that it will make a creaking noise, so I pushed it slowly, enough to let me through.

I passed through the door to find myself in a kitchen, food, dirty cups and plates were scattered everywhere which meant that it's been the assassins home for a while.

I heard grunting noises, I left the kitchen, and followed the noises, I stood in a corridor that had two rooms opposite to each other, one was locked and the other was only closed, I decided to take my chances. I was about to open the closed door but I heard men talking, two of them spoke loud enough for me to hear,

' there's only thirty minutes left' one said

' they will come, we have the girl's mother' replied the other
After a moment of silence i heard a different voice ,
' I'll check on our guests' said the man in a different husky voice, I heard footsteps coming in my direction and I ran back to the kitchen and hid there.

A door opened and I heard the muffled screams of Rina and Jenna, if only I could run and burn this man, but I can't do anything unless my family is out of here

' shut up or I won't wait till dawn, I'll end your miserable life' said the man with the husky voice.

I closed my eyes to calm down, my heart was beating like drums, my hands were shaking and i couldn't help but think of how badly they might be hurt.

The man left the room, he forgot to close the door, I went inside, at their sight I felt relief and I almost cried. They stared at me in surprise, they didn't think I'll come for them?! I put my finger to my mouth ordering them not to make a noise.

both Jenna and Rina were tied to the chairs they were on, I won't have mercy on those mongrels.

I pulled a dagger and cut the ropes on Jenna's hands then handed her the second dagger to cut the rope tying her legs as I freed Rina.

I cupped Rina's face in my hand to reassure her and I felt the blood seeping from a gash on her temple, it was not very deep but the idea of someone spilling her blood made mine boil,
Jenna stood and hugged me ' it's ok' I whispered.

" there's a door in the kitchen" I whispered again "once you're out run" I gave them both a hug and we moved.

We reached the kitchen and we heard someone coming.