Chapter 14

"What does the mark do?" I asked Zander and Mare.

They didn't reply, Zander was hovering over the table that had the coffee and cookies, he had a funny look on his face and he was looking directly at me, I wondered if I had chocolate around my mouth from the cookies, I snapped out of my reverie when I saw the coffee flying out of the cup; it kept flying higher until it was eye level with me. I noticed Zander's hand that was palms up with his fingers slightly twisted, I didn't stare because, the coffee now flying in the air god only knows how; started shaping itself slowly until it formed a butterfly. Zander extended his arms towards the butterfly and held it in his hands, and it somehow turned into a solid state.

I didn't realize I was gaping until Zander spoke "Here" he was offering me the butterfly, I hesitated, I was slightly afraid that I might be hallucinating, I took the butterfly and it was really freezing, an ice sculpture it was.

"Is That because of the mark?" I whispered

"Yes, Mare calls it my gift" Zander replied.

"What about me?" I asked my voice rasping so I cleared my throat.

"That's for you to figure out although I think it's fire" Zander Replied, I looked at him eyebrows lifted in question

"I saw the tree. Behind the school" he said shrugging but I noticed that he avoided eye contact with me. I decided to let it go for I had more pressing matters other than someone spying on me.

"Why now? I mean where have you been all of those years? Why find me now?" I asked suddenly angry, my face turned red.

They looked at each other and Mare spoke

"We found you a few years ago, you were very young you wouldn't have believed us and we thought you could have a normal life" she didn't complete so I encouraged saying, "But you came now because?"

Zander spoke this time "you were followed by assassins Arya" well I should have known this was coming what else is left for me to know? The dog in front of my house is werewolf?!

Zander snapped me of my thoughts when he said "look two days ago, three assassins came looking for you, both of us actually and since I can protect myself and I have Mare they couldn't even notice me. as for you, they were very close to finding you if Mare didn't block their trackers they would have found you, the king is a murderer Arya. He sent these people to kill us. That's why I brought you here and you have to stay and train."

When I didn't reply Mare spoke "Find your magic Arya, reach down to it and let it go"

So, I thought and I thought but nothing, nothing

"I can't" I whispered

"you are tired, Zander accompany her to her room" Mare said looking very tired herself. I think now I have no choice but to stay. I certainly don't remember the way I came here, I will get lost if I left now

"What about the assassins?" I asked

"They can't reach you here, I've taken care of that" Mare replied giving me a kind smile. I don't know why but the mischief in her eyes made me believe her.

Zander walked toward the stairs he didn't look at me but said "Are you coming or do you intend to sleep on the couch" I rolled my eyes and turned to follow him.

"Thank you Mare" I said then I completed on my way.

The staircase wasn't huge but still big. The second floor was beautiful really beautiful it had four rooms and maybe more, a burgundy couch and a black armchair. There were no pictures on the wall except one of Zander and Mare, Zander looked so young, his ocean blue eyes were shining as he smiled his Reddish brown hair was a shade lighter than how it is now, it was the only picture of them, there were about three more paintings that fitted the wall; which was painted in grey.