The news

Ashley pov

I held Dylan's hand tightly as we waited. It hhad been about an hour and Emma had already fallen asleep on Drake's shoulder. Her face was tearstained and Drake also looked upset. 

Everyone else was waiting for the news. Taylor was holding Alex while the others looked like they were praying.

"Are you alright Ley?" Dylan asked me softly. He was the only person who I allowed to call me that. I looked up at him and he stared into my eyes.

"Love, you have to know that everything happens for a reason. If Luke lives, we know he has a future and we have to believe in that. You should not be upset, love. Luke wouldn't want that, would he?" he whispered to me.

I knew what he said was true. I nodded and looked back blankly at the wall in front of me.

Eve though the others thought that me and Dylan had left to do "dirty" things, he had only taken me to buy me an icecream. He was a gentleman that way. The ice cream had helped only for a while and I felt that I was in a pit of depression. 

If I felt like this, I knew Emma would be feeling worse. I crossed my fingers and started praying.

After an hour

We had been waiting for an hour and Emma was awake.

"Ley, the doctor just came out," Dylan said with an alert voice. Everyone jerked and immediately got up. We all looked at the doctor's face but his face was blank. He had his poker face on.

"What happened?" Emma whispered. The doctor remained quiet and the only sound was Emma's sobs. She held the doctor's collar and shook him and yelled, "WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?"

"We are so sorry..." he whispered. Tears streamed out from her eyes and she shook him again and said, "No....no....Luke can't be...."

The truth seemed to hit us. Alex had given up all sense of politeness and decency and was violently shaking the doctor now. Emma was sobbing into Drake arms and he was also crying silently. Taylor was trying to pry Alex's hands from the doctor's shirt and he looked very thankful. Violet and Christina were crying while Dan and Liam seemed to be in control.

"Hey...love....calm down...please stop crying..." Dylan whispered to me and I realized that the sounds in the room were not only Emma's but also my loud sobs. I broke down and clutched Dylan's shirt as I cried into his shoulder.

"Can we....can we see him?" Taylor whispered. The doctor nodded and he looked apologetically at us. I smiled through my tears at him. 

Taylor took Alex inside and everyone entered. Dylan and I remained outside.

"Don't you want to see him?" Dylan asked.

"I don't...I can't.....it will see real then..." I sobbed. Dylan carried me to Luke's room. Emma was crying and Alex was holding Luke's hands as he silently. Everyone was sad and I could see it. Even Drake who hated Luke with a passion couldn't bear to see his dead body.

Dylan held me and I vaguely saw everyone leave the room. Drake was carrying a reluctant and screaming Emma out of the room and Taylor forced Alex outside.

Only me and Dylan were left. Dylan tried steering me out but I shook my head and said, "I need to talk to him."

Dylan nodded with a straight face and I walked to Luke. I sat next to his bed and held his hands. I looked at his expressionless face which seemed peaceful after death. I had never believed that there was after life, but when I saw Luke laying there, I knew there should be. He can't die without living his life, he must be happy elsewhere. Probably looking at us sadly from where he was.

"I promise to do what you asked me to," I whispered, "I'll try my best to be with them. I'll minimise all fights and we all will live happily, I promise. And I promise to never forget you.....my big brother...." I couldn't control the tears any longer and Dylan hugged me tightly.

"Why him...." I sobbed, "He was so good. He used to help me a lot. When I was depressed because of you, he used to hold me and tell me all was fine. He was my first big brother and I lost him..."

"He wouldn't want you like this, love. You have to continue your life and support others. I will always be with you. I promise,"  he whispered. I looked into his tearful eyes and I smiled weakly, I knew he would always be with me, no matter what.