Chapter Nine

Phil's POV
I got to Dan's door, hesitant to knock.

I knocked a couple of times and got no reply, I tried to open the door, but it wouldn't budge.

"Dan, please open the door." I call, trying to push the door open.

I stop, listening for any signs of Dan actually being in there.

I heard nothing.

There wasn't any signs, except the locked door, that Dan was actually in there.

No noise.

No sounds.

Just silence.

~An hour later~
Missy's POV
It had been about an hour since Anxiety had been able to stay calm enough to be in his room by himself.

I was worried now, usually he would've come out now to get something.

Food

A drink

Something.

But he hasn't.

Lucky I know how to get into his room without the door needing to be open.

I pace in front of the door three times, then I close my eyes and imagine myself on the other side.

What can I say? The imagination is a powerful thing.

I open my eyes and can't see a thing.

'At least I'm here.'

"Anx." I call out, my eyes still adjusting to the dimness of the room.

No answer.

"Anx, are you here?" I call out again, certain objects starting to materialise.

Still no answer.

'Okay, there are three places that he could be.'

I walk towards the bed, but about halfway there I can already tell he's not there.

'Okay. Not the bed.'

I walk towards a wall, feeling around until I found a doorknob.

The door clicked open to reveal an empty closet, except for the clothes.

'Not in the closet either. Heh, everyone knows that's not true.'

I sigh and shake the thought away, as I made my way across the room to the other wall.

'Maybe he's here.'

I opened the door.

Dan's POV
I was still crying when suddenly Anxiety landed in the room.

He noticed me and quickly clicked his fingers before letting out a scream.

I stared at him, er her, I don't know what to call Anxiety actually.

I just watched as Anxiety curled up in the corner, rocking back and forth.

I could here Phil at the door but I chose to ignore him.

I stood up, walking over to Anxiety and sat next to him.

He looked up at me.

I could see the pain flashing through his eyes as he reached his hands up and covered his ear.

I placed my hand on his shoulder, smiling a small smile.

He looked at me, unblocking his ears.

Third Person POV
The ringing in Anxiety's ears had dulled a bit.

"Are you okay?" Dan asked the "boy" sitting next to him.

Anxiety shook his head no, resisting the urge to cover his ear as the ringing sharpened again.

"What's wrong? You don't have to tell me." Dan said, looking up at the ceiling.

Anxiety's POV
This is horrible, the ringing is driving me insane!

Of course, me being me, I forgot that Dan and Phil were here and so when a tried to go to my safe place, or "my" room in the real world. Dan was there.

I think I startled Dan for a few seconds when I screamed out in pain, but he still came over and sat next me.

I can hear him talking to me, but this pain, it stops me from answering in anything more then a nod.

"What's wrong? ...don't....to....me." the end of his statement being cut off when the ringing sharpened again.

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out.

I sighed in defeat, putting my head in my lap.

Dan's POV
I could see that Anxiety was trying, he was trying to say something, but something was stopping him.

He put his head down in his lap.

I could still hear Phil knocking on the door.

"Is it Phil knocking at the door? Is that what's wrong?" I asked, trying to figure out why he couldn't just tell me.

He looked back up at me with tears pricking in his eyes.

I felt him grab my hand.

I looked at him confused.

"Click. " he managed to croack out, almost like someone was chocking him.

I was confused but did as he said.

Suddenly, the room fell almost completely silent, the only sound in the room was Anxiety's sobs and my occasional sniffle.

Third Person POV
Anxiety smiled at Dan.

"Thank you." he said quietly, surprised to even be able to talk.

"Wha? What did I just do?" Dan asked, looking around, confused.

Anxiety chuckled, the ringing dulled to a lull.

"That's easy to explain, I simply gave you some of the little power I have. Right now, there is a sound barrier around the walls of the room, since this is my safe space out of the mindscape. Therefore, I control what it does." he said, looking at his hands.

"Is that why it's so dark?" Dan asked, glancing around.

"Is there a problem with it being dark?" Anxiety challenged, lack of falters in his voice.

"N-no. I like it, extremely like my own room. Phil is always nagging me to add light to my room." Dan said, glancing at the door.

"Patton's the same. I like my room the way it is in the mindscape. This room serfices enough though." Anxiety said, looking around.

He noticed little hints of colour here and there. He let out a growl.

Dan jumped, startled by the sudden noise, "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Princey or Patton have been in here. There's colour on the walls in places. I left them completely black." Anxiety said, standing up.

The ringing came back and Anxiety quickly fell back down, clutching his ears.

"What's wrong?" Dan asked.

Anxiety looked back up again, tears in his eyes. He clicked his fingers and everything came back to reality. The knocks, mixed with Phil's voice echoed through the room.

"Talk to him." was all Anxiety could manage to get out before disappearing.

Dan was confused at first, but quickly came to his senses, standing up and walking towards the door.