Klaus Mikaelson - Maybe later

The room was empty. Too empty, after staying over at the Mikaelson compound for weeks. But that had to end... you couldn't impose on their hospitality forever, nor could you continue fooling yourself that you were part of their family. You weren't. No matter what mattered, no matter what Klaus might have said, the moment they had to choose between their blood and those outside of that small circle, they'd always choose their family over anything else. And you refused to step back, every time a family crisis occurred. Something that seemed to happen about every week.

But you hadn't counted on how used you had become to a house full of people. To Elijah, reading in a corner. And most of all to Klaus, popping in to see if you need anything. To the Original pouring his heart out, every time he needed someone outside of his family to talk to. None of that at your flat. So as soon as you dropped your belongings there, you ran again, went into town, drink a cup of coffee while walking through the streets, maybe shop a bit. Anything so you didn't have to feel how empty your house, your life felt now.

You just hadn't counted on who you'd meet. You hadn't managed to walk two blocks before you saw familiar blonde locks, a voice you'd never forget, a smile that had haunted your dreams for months already. And you didn't manage to turn around and walk away. You hadn't left him a day ago and already you tried to walk into him. Pathetic...
"Klaus..." You actually managed to sound surprised.

"Y/N..." He seemed to buy it. "I... I hadn't expected to see you here after you ran off yesterday. I thought you needed space and quiet and that I nor my family were able to give you either of them?"

Outch... that hurt, hearing back what you had thrown in his face.
"I... I was just out to get a coffee. I wasn't planning on becoming a hermit." Well, that had been part of your plan, if you were honest, you just hadn't counted on being used to having someone around so much.

"So you could have stayed? The compound does feel kind of empty without you, you know. Freya misses you already." Of course he wouldn't admit anything about himself, using his sister as a decoy. Which was kind of exactly why you left. If Klaus would have been a bit clearer about what he wanted. If he, for once, just had said what was on his mind instead of hiding it.

"If you would have asked me to stay, I would have." You bit your lip after you had said it. That wasn't meant for Klaus' ears. You only thought it. "And... I should not have said that. Forget it." It would only create unnecessary drama and that was exactly what you had tried to cut out of your life.

"Me?" Klaus looked down at you with that sickening smirk of him. "This was all about me? You know I don't talk easily about feelings and what I want with them, love. And if that has been the cause of your departure, I do feel sorry about that. I just can't give you what you seem to want. Not now. Maybe..." He shrugged. "Maybe later."