Lullabies

"Are you sure?"

I sit on a stool in Shirayuki's small work space with my arm waiting to be sewn up. I was debating bolting, but decided against it.

"Positive. The cut is deeper than I first thought," Shirayuki threads the needle in her hand.

I feel myself go lightheaded. Why did I come again?

"You won't feel it too much. It'll be over before you know it," Shirayuki turns and holds my arm steady.

"Right, just get it over already." I drop my head onto the table and let my arm go limp.

"Don't tell me you're scared of a little needle."

I look up at Obi leaning against the doorway. His eyes were filled with smug amusement.

"As a matter of fact, I am terrified of needles. Something a big tough guy like you would never understand," I yelp at the first prick if the needle and drop my head back onto the table.

“Sorry.”

I shake my head, “Just keep going. Don’t mind me.”

By the next three stitches I’m about done.

A distraction. I needed a distraction.

“Little child, be not afraid,” I sing the first verse quietly to myself. “The rain pounds harsh against the glass, like an unwanted stranger. There’s no danger. I am here tonight.”

Shirayuki ties off the thread.

I lift my head, “Is it over?”

“The stitching part is over,” Shirayuki unravels some bandages.

I hold my arm out for her to bandage.

“You have a beautiful voice by the way,” Shirayuki never looks up from wrapping my arm.

I feel a slight warmth creep up my cheeks. My skin was too dark to see any evidence of the blush, but I could still feel it.

“Thanks,” is my simple answer.

Shirayuki ties off the bandage, “You can take the bandage off in a day or two. After the bandage is off you may rinse it, but no scrubbing.”

“Thank you, Shirayuki,” I pull my arm away. “Whenever you need help ask me, yeah? I still want to learn the basics of herbalism.”

“I will. I look forward to teaching you,” she tilts her head giving her sweet smile. The early sun glints off her hair making it look like fire.

I stand and slowly back towards the door, “Well I’m off to explore. See ya.” I move around Obi and walk towards the stables.

A rough hand catches my arm once I make it outside. I wince.

“Where do you think you’re going,” Obi doesn’t look to amused about my walking off without saying a word.

“I’m not going to try anything.”

Yet.

“I’m going to see Gypsy, my horse. I haven’t seen her since I got here,” I tug on my arm, “If you wouldn’t mind, could you let go? My arm still kind of hurts.”

Obi blinks as if he’s surprised I have feelings and lets go.

“Thank you,” I pull my arm to my chest and hold it protectively.

We make it to the stables in uncomfortable silence. As soon as I see Gypsy I almost forget Obi’s even there.

“Hey there, Girl,” she nickers a greeting and shoves her muzzle into my hand. I giggle, “I don’t have any treats, I’m sorry.”

She snorts and nibbles at my ear. I laugh, “Hey stop that.” I lightly shove her head away.

Then I remember I’m not alone when I feel the burn of another person’s stare.

“You don’t have to stand guard,” I continue to stroke Gypsy’s neck. “I’m not going anywhere.”

An exasperated sigh is the only response I get, but I know he’s left me alone.

I give Gypsy my full attention once again, “That was Obi. He’s my supposed escort.” I scratch under Gypsy’s chin, “I’m pretty sure he’s more of my jailer though.”

Gypsy nibbles at her bridle outside her stall, signaling her want for a ride.

“Sorry, my head injury doesn't allow me to ride you for a bit.”

I reach for her halter next to her bridle, “That doesn't mean I can’t take you out to the paddocks though.” I slip on the halter, “They're much nicer than the one we had at home. Come on.”

I guide her out. I don't realize the sun going down until Gypsy comes behind me and lies down. I look down at her, “I swear you're more dog than horse.”

I lay down with my head resting on her stomach. As I start to doze off only then do I realize Obi had let me be as alone as he could. Whether it was for his sake of mine, I appreciated it.

Gypsy shoves on my shoulder, “Leave me alone.” I push her away.

She shoves my shoulder again.

“Fine, fine. I'll sing you a song you big baby.”

I take a slow breath, “Silver light. She turned her face up to the starlit sky, and on this day began to wonder why. She knew that soon the day would come…”