Don't Hurt Him

The door to my cell opens with a squeal. I don't move from the corner I lean against, "If you're here to try to get a different answer from me besides no, you might as well call it a day.

I don't get any response from the two men. I'm roughly grabbed and am pulled up.

I suck in a breath of air. The sudden movement causes pain to my ribs.

"Back to the grinder," I mutter to no one in particular.

It had been days since I've been here. Weeks probably. It was hard to tell when I was never let out into the light.

Instead of going down the usual halls to the left, I'm steered to the right.

We stop at an unfamiliar door.

The guards open it to reveal a shop much like the one I owned, with a little boy sitting at the workbench. A man stands over him.

The guards let go and prod me into the room.

The man looks up, "Why hello, Vela."

I lock my knees and refuse to move a step more.

Master Keir walks towards me with an outstretched hand. He pushes back my soiled hair and caresses my bruised cheek.

I stay very still during the whole ordeal, barely even daring to breath.

"You've grown," Keir lets his hand drop.

I swallow hard.

He gently takes my hand, the only unharmed part of my body, in his and tugs me towards the boy at the work table, "I know you don't want to make my invention, but would you mind if this boy does? All you have to do is teach him all you know, then you can wash your hands of us completely. You can go back to Clarines and be with that guard of yours."

We stop behind the boy. He was making some sort of weapon.

"He's quite talented. He doesn't have the same skills as you, but he holds promise."

I stare at the back of the boy's head. His hair was well kempt and he seemed well fed. He was living the life of a noble in this small hovel, but I knew he wasn't happy. I had once been in his position. Master Keir's little pet.

Master Keir puts a hand on the boy's shoulder, "So what do you say, Vela? Will you teach him."

I take in a shaky breath, "No." My voice trembles on the one syllable word.

Keir's hand tightens on the boy's shoulder, "I was afraid you'd say that."

He looks down at the boy, "Oh, Lowen, my pet, would you stand for me."

The boy, Lowen, immediately stops what he's doing and pushes to a standing position with shaking hands.

"Remove your shirt, Child."

Lowen pulls his shirt over his head.

I bite my lip.

The boy had scars crisscrossing on his back. He already knew what was coming.

"For every refusal, Lowen will receive three lashings," Keir grabs a thin, metal rod from a high shelf. "Turn around."

Three dull thuds echo throughout the room.

Master Keir turns to me, "I will ask you again, will you teach Lowen how to make the machine?"

A tear slips down my cheek; staring at the boy, I felt guilt choking me. I shake my head again.

"Very, well," Keir turns back towards Lowen and raises the rod.

I shut my eyes, "Wait!"

No sound of metal against flesh sounds. I open my eyes.

Lowen is still facing away from me and leaning against a table. His knuckles are white.

"I'll do it. I'll teach him, just please stop. Don't hurt him," I look up at Keir, sniffling.

A wicked grin spreads across his face.

"I'm so happy to see the change of heart. I know you won't disappoint me," Master Keir places the metal rod down.

He walks over to me and brushes my tears away, "Don't worry, my treasure. No more harm will come to you or Lowen."

I grimace when he kisses my forehead.

"Now get to it."

The guards and Master Keir leave Lowen and me alone.

~~~~~

I legit feel like Texas is doing it's best to cleanse itself of humankind