NINE

Nine | robots that whine

"I'll take Natasha, Clarke and Clint," Steve said, already making a battle plan.

"Alright," Tony agreed, "strictly recon. I'll hit the NEXUS, I'll join you as soon as I can."

"If Ultron is really building a body..." Steve's sentence trailed off.

"He'll be more powerful than any of us," Tony finished, "maybe all of us. An android designed by a robot."

"You know I really miss the days when the weirdest thing science ever created was me," Steve said, trying to lift the  glum mood we were all in.

"I'll drop Banner off at the tower," Fury said, "do you mind if I borrow Ms. Hill?"

"She's all yours, apparently," Tony said, "what are you gonna do?"

"I don't know," Fury shrugged, "something dramatic, I hope."

"Knowing you, it'll definitely be something dramatic," I said with a smile.

***

The next morning, we were all suited up and ready to go. Fury had left along with Bruce after our conversation the previous night. Clint finally walked out of the house, Laura right behind him. I waved goodbye to her before following the team to where the jet was.

"Hey," Clint called out as we were climbing on to the jet, "Fury asked me to give this to you."

He held me a pen drive and I looked at it carefully, a frown forming on my face when I realized what it was.

"What is it?" Clint asked.

"It's the information from the HYDRA base I got into a couple of days ago," I answered, pocketing it for now, "I have no idea why he would give it to me."

"Dramatic, remember?" Clint said, clapping me on the back.

About an hour later, we were flying over Dr. Cho's lab. Steve had left to investigate, leaving Clint, Natasha and I on the jet waiting for news.

"Dr. Cho!" Steve's voice shouted from the comms causing all three of us to perk up.

"He's uploading himself into the body," Helen said in a weak voice.

"Where?" Steve asked immediately.

"The real power is inside the Cradle," Helen continued, "the gem, its power is uncontainable. You can't just blow it up. You have to get the Cradle to Stark."

"First I have to find it." Steve said, "did you guys copy that?"he asked us.

"We did," Clint replied.

"I got a private jet taking off, across town, no manifest," Natasha called out, looking at the monitors from the back of the jet, "that could be him."

Clint looked outside, noticing a truck leaving the lab, "there. It's the truck from the lab. Right above you, Cap. On the loop by the bridge. It's them. I got three with the Cradle, one in the cab. I could take out the driver."

"Negative!" Steve shouted, "if that truck crashes, the gem could level the city. We need to draw out Ultron."

We watched from above as Steve jumped on to the roof of the truck. Obviously, Ultron wasn't very happy because the doors at the back of the truck blasted open barely missing Steve who was hanging on to the open doors with one hand.

"Well, he's definitely unhappy!" Steve said, "I'm gonna try and keep him that way."

"You're not a match for him, Cap," Clint warned.

"Thanks, Barton," Cap said, sarcastically," but I could use some help. Clarke, how soon can you get down here."

"Give me a minute," I replied, "I'll come down with Natasha, get ready to pull me up."

Clint took the jet down so that Natasha and I could easily get down onto The streets on her bike. We were going to have to get down from a little afar.

"Stop it!" Ultron shouted. His shout was followed by a blast.

"Woah," I said as I listened to the fight going on, "is it just me, or does Ultron sound like a little kid?"

Clint laughed before nodding for me to go with Natasha, "we got a window," he said as he prepared to open the hangar, "four, three... give 'em hell."

"Hold on tight!" Natasha shouted as we dropped  out of the jet and onto the street. She drove like a professional, easily dodging the traffic.  As we drove down the road Natasha picked up Caps shield and put it at the front of her bike, "I'm always picking up after you boys," she mumbled.

"They're heading under the overpass," Clint's voice said through the comms, "I've got no shot."

"Which way?" Natasha asked.

"Hard right... Now," Clint said. Natasha took a hard turn. After going down a thin alleyway we finally spotted the truck. The back doors had been blasted open and I would  see the fight going on inside. We headed over to the truck and she threw Steve his shield. He quickly grabbed it and used it to knock Ultron off of him and held out his hand. I grabbed it and he pulled me of the bike. I turned ducking just in time to avoid getting hit by Ultron who seemed even more annoyed than before.

The fight with Ultron had somehow ended up on a speeding train and Ultron didn't seem like he was about to give up anytime soon.

"Come on!" Steve shouted, annoyance clear in his tone as we continued our fight with Ultron.

"We've got Ultron," I said, "you guys get the cradle."

Clint and Natasha devised a plan to get the cradle by drawing out the iron legion, I just hoped there plan to work.

"Cap! Clarke! Keep him occupied!" Clint shouted.

"What do you think we've been doing?" Steve shouted, as he threw his shield. It missed Ultron, instead hitting the wall and coming straight at me. I ducked to avoid being hit by it.

"Careful with that!" I shouted getting back up and pulling out a gun from my belt. A gun wasn't going to really be of much use in a fight against a robot, but at the moment, we needed to distract him.