FOURTEEN

Fourteen | just leave me alone

I had my hands pressed against my ears and eyes squeezed shut even though I knew it was going to be of absolutely no help. My ears throbbed from all the sounds and the volume.

A couple of minutes passed before the pain in my ears subsided and I let out a sigh of relief. But my relief was cut short as the door opened with a click.

Two people stepped in, my mother and my father. As usual, my father was at the front, a key in his hand. He walked towards me without actually looking at me and unlocked the chains around my wrists.

It was a precaution they had taken after I tried to escape a couple of times. He grabbed my arm and pulled me on to my feet and straight to the bed. I didn't bother to protest because that just made things worse.

He tightened the binds around my wrists and ankles before gesturing for my mother to enter. She had a syringe in her hand, one that I absolutely hated. They injected me with the stuff every six hours and it brought the pain back again.

I didn't flinch when the needle pierced my skin, I was used to it by now. But the pain that came after was something I could never get used to. It felt Iike someone was pumping fire through my veins. Fortunately, the pain was gone as soon as it came, a numb feeling in its place.

That's when my senses went crazy and my head was filled with noises.

I jumped awake at that moment. My sheets were crumpled up pushed away from my body. I was used to it by now. The constant nightmares that woke me up every time I tried to get some sleep.

Light was already seeping through the slits in my curtains. There was no point to sleep anymore, so I got up and got ready for another day, hoping it would be better.

***

After a couple of hours sitting next to Clint as he tried to find anything that could lead to Natasha, I left the room to get some fresh air. I used to be calm and collected, rarely showing any sign of being tired. Clint had picked up on it after I yawned for the third time.

"Didn't you sleep last night?" He asked.

"Nightmares," I replied before looking away. That was all he needed to know that I no longer wanted to discuss that topic.

As I walked down the hallway towards the same room I went to when I wanted to be alone, I heard a 'whoosh'. One that was starting to get annoyingly familiar. I heard it a couple of times the previous day and he was there in the party room last night. It didn't take a genius to figure out that he was trying to talk to me. Or at least watching me.

Once I got to the room, I stared out of the glass wall. Somehow, the city below was a comforting sight. People roaming around with normal lives, having nothing to worry about. People my age, only having to worry about things like grades and how there hair looks. It was actually pretty annoying, the way they seemed so relaxed, like they didn't have to face a single problem there whole lives. At least none as big as what we had to take care of.

I closed my eyes again as the pain rushed through my head and the volume pumped up just a little bit. It was like there was a volume button in my head, which was malfunctioning at the moment.

"Hey," a voice said, causing me to open my eyes and turn around. I felt the annoyance rush through my mind when I saw that it was Pietro Maximoff.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. I knew it sounded rude, but I just couldn't help the hostility I felt towards him and his sister. It probably had something to do with the fact that it was her sisters fault that my memories were coming up again.

"I just wanted to talk," he said, taking a step forward.

"I think you may have realised that I'm not the most friendly person around here, so why won't you leave me alone?" I asked.

"Wha-"

"You don't think I noticed you following me around?" I questioned.

"I'm not following-"

"Just leave me alone, okay?" I thought he would have left after that, but it seemed as though he had only gained confidence from it.

"You're like us, aren't you?" He asked, "that's why you're so quick."

I turned around, a glare on my face that would have made anyone else back away. But not Pietro. He was more determined than I had initially thought.

"You don't know anything about me!" I snapped, before turning around.

"Well, you don't know anything about Wanda and me, either," Pietro countered.

He really shouldn't have said anything. The amount of emotions I was feeling now was making me extremely unstable.

"Pietro and Wanda Maximoff," I dictated from all the data I had read up on them, "orphaned at ten, volunteered for the enhancement project and the only ones who got out alive. I could go into more detail, but I really don't feel like it."

The expression on Pietro's face was just as expected. Shock. He didn't know exactly how much I knew about the two of them, and it had taken him by surprise. He didn't say another word as he left the room.

I thought that might have left me satisfied. Instead, there was a sick feeling in my stomach, knowing that I had taken out my pent up anger on someone who didn't deserve it. The guilt only got worse as I stared out he door from which he had exited.

✳✳✳

Hey guys! Double update as a thank you for 3k! It's been what? About a week since we got 2k? Thank you all sooo much for reading! You have no idea how happy I am right now!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter.
Please consider giving a vote or leaving a comment to let me know what your think!
Thanks for reading!