THIRTEEN

Thirteen | training time

Clint was right. After I sat in front of a screen for about two hours, trying to find any sign of Natasha or Ultron, Steve had walked right in and pulled me out of the room. I might have given up quickly, the sound of the keys were starting to get louder and louder with every second that passed.

Tony had gone back to NEXUS to see whether he could find Ultron. We had assumed at the very beginning, that Ultron was using the internet as an escape route. Vision had also said the same.

Clint was checking through radio waves, trying to find anything Natasha could have possibly left for us to find.

Steve took me down to the training room, saying hat he needed help teaching the two Maximoff's. It wasn't something I was particularly happy about, but I followed him anyway.

It was just the four of us in the large training room. Steve was explaining what we were supposed to be doing and I wasn't paying much attention.

"Clarke, why don't you take Pietro," Steve's voice broke through my thoughts and I raised my head to look up at Steve who gave me a pleading look, "you have faster reflexes." He added.

He was a super soldier. He had faster reflexes than the average human. But, yes, I was faster than him. It was something Tony and the rest of he team found to be extremely funny.

I walked over to Pietro who had a confident look on his face. Not for long.

I stood, waiting for him to make the first move, which he did. He took a step forward but before he could lunge towards me, I grabbed his outstretched hand, the first mistake he made, and twisted it around. Then I whirled around and hit the back of his knees, causing him to fall.

I didn't say a word as he got back up, that confident look previously on his face, all but gone.

Training kept my mind off the topic of my parents and the memories. Pietro lost over and over and over again. I was actually pretty surprised. I had expected for his powers to be an advantage for him, but it wasn't.

He didn't have skill. Just his powers that he used in impulse. I had been trained by the best agents. I had trained with Natasha and Clint which made me good in both fields. I could fight from a distance or hand to hand. Having both skills had improved my already enhanced reflexes.

And I definitely had more experience than Pietro. Because of all the missions that I had gone on, I could easily predict the next move an opponent would make.

I knew I was being a bit too rough on him, but at the moment, my thoughts were elsewhere. I didn't want to be here, especially to train them. I wanted to help Clint and Tony find any trace of Natasha or Ultron. It felt wrong to stand here while I could be doing something else. Something more productive.

"Alright, that's enough," Steve called out, ending the training session.

I stepped away immediately, ignoring the boy lying on the ground in front of me. He was clearly in pain, whether it was little or a lot, I didn't really care. I wasn't looking to have any form of relationship with either of the two Maximoff's.

I walked out of the training room without a second glance behind me. I could feel someone's gaze on my back, but at the moment, I was dealing with something they didn't know about. I knew I had been relieved when Steve had pulled me away from the screen, but that relief had vanished the moment I saw the siblings waiting for us.

***

That night, I was standing in the room where the party had taken place about a week ago, though it felt like ages had passed since then. The room had been cleaned up, but proof still remained of the fight that had taken place here.

I couldn't sleep. Every time I tried to, the memories would rise causing me to have nightmares. Sometimes I knew they were just memories, but the other times, they felt just a little too present.

I pressed a hand against the glass as I looked out into the lit up city. Even in the middle of the night, cars drove down the roads and people walked around. I could hear music coming from somewhere and people laughing. Outside was a comforting sight, inside was where the demons roamed.

I looked up as I heard a 'whoosh' and the sound of quick footsteps, feet that only barely hit the floor as he ran. Guess I wasn't the only one who couldn't sleep.

After spending a couple more minutes in the room, I left to get some sleep. Even if the nightmares came up, I needed sleep. Sleep was essential. That was a truly annoying fact.

I walked to my room quietly, trying to make as little noise as possible. But th sound of my bare feet hitting the ground echoed through the empty hallways and through my ears.

Once I reached my room, I laid down on the bed pulling the sheets all the way up to my neck. The nightmares would wake me up at one moment in the night, but I pushed those thoughts back and closed my eyes, drifting off to sleep.