Hunted

He was starving. For days he had contemplated self cannibalism. Just the thumb, he kept telling himself. His mind was racing, he was going to die. He felt death’s embrace around his body and soul.

“Just one more day, then it will all be over”

Then he remembered his purpose in the torture he was enduring. The ultimate goal of the pain he was going through at the moment. A sudden surge of confidence filled his blood, his mouth began to water. His comrades were watching him. They would make sure he would not die.

Then he sensed it, the prey. A girl, roughly about 17 years old walked to him. He knew she was scared, that something was not right. But most importantly, he knew that she was curious. He knew that she would approach him and that there would only be a small window for his fellow brothers to make the move. The moment of truth had begun.

The trap was set.

***

Jessica moved as slowly as she could. Something was not right, she had been watching the man for days now. She saw as he coughed blood, as he contemplated suicide. But the thing was that any normal person would be dead by now, but somehow he was still alive. Barely.

“Are you alright?” There was no answer.

“Excuse me sir, do you need any help?” Again, no answer.

My God what if he is dead, and all I have been doing is just watching like an idiot while he suffered from starvation. Why did I not do anything sooner! Panic entered Jessica as she sprinted towards the man, lying under a tree. Dead for all she knew.

“Please, speak to me! Please don’t die!” She grabbed hold of the man’s head and checked to see if he had a pulse.

A miracle, the pulse was there, but it was faint. Jessica knew that he needed immediate medical assistance, but this far out into the wilderness the only help that could be provided was the small medical backpack that she brought along from her cabin. Immediately she checked the mans eyes, but what she saw made her fall back and drop the supplies on the floor.

They were not human. Nothing about them was human. It was something that Jessica would have never imagined that she would see in her life. The iris for both of the eyes were a deep yellow with slight hints of grey along the outer areas. But what shocked her the most were the pupils. They looked menacing, dark as the night. It was the way the eyes looked all toghether. They resembled almost like those of a grey wolf she had killed two years ago. The eyes were exactly the same.

“Wake up please, we need to take you to get medical help right now!” It was fruitless, the man did not respond nor did he move.

“Well if you are not going, I am taking you with me.” Jessica reached for the mysterious mans shoulder so that she could pick him up when suddenly she saw his left eye look towards the bushes. She could see a small smirk creep along the mans mouth when she heard rustling among the bushes.

***

He saw the girl sprint towards him, and then he thought of how well the entire pack was going to feed tonight. His comrade had done a great job, risking his life for the grater good of the pack. For days he just lying there, starving and bringing himself close to insanity. He saw how his fellow comrade heard their howls as they cried for his soul to preserve. But if the pack was going to survive, necessary risks had to be taken. It just tormented Dimitri to see his blood brother suffer like that.

Dimitri got up and turned around to see the rest of his pack members already turned into their beast form. Just waiting for the word so that they may finally feed their hunger. Three wolves, all in their respective positions.  It would take perfect coordination in order for the hunt to be successful. They had surrounded the small area were his comrade lay. Then he saw the signal that came from his brother, a series of hand signals that are subtle enough so that only the pack could see them.