Letter 56

My dear Patricia,

I'm writing to tell you what happened when I went to New York for the Premiere of Hamlet. We received some tickets. Anthony-William made sure that we all had one, even Alistair. The trip to New York was different than the time I came by myself for the Premiere of Romeo and Juliet... Well, not that much, because I was as happy as that time. I was about to see Terry and Anthony-William. Terry mad doesn't bother me. I hope that his anger will finally dissipate. And I know that his anger is lasting longer because I am not in New York. If I lived in New York, I would have succeeded in convincing him not to be angry at me anymore. So I have taken a decision in the train, I will not go back to Chicago and to Pony House. I will remain in New York, close to my son and close to Terry. I may have gotten used to Terry's absence in my life, but I am not used to the absence of my son, and I don't want to have to get used to that. I want to live with my son... and with Terry, when he will have calmed down. I must take my life into my own hands, and I want a family with my son and Terry.

To see my son again was marvelous. To see Terry too. But as I couldn't hold him in my arms, since he is still mad at me, it is Anthony-William who had to pay for it. I also hugged Eleanor in my arms for a long time. She is a wonderful woman, who has promised to help me with her son, and who has already started with those tickets for Hamlet.

The duke of Grandchester came from England for the Premiere of Hamlet and I was under the impression that he would like to reconquer Terry's mother. I find that so romantic! I have the impression that I understand him because I want to reconquer Terry, so it is as if we are on the same side. He remembered me, and our conversation when I hung onto his carriage to talk about the College and his donations. He still cannot believe that I pleaded the cause of a college that had treated me so badly. I saw Terry watching me on the sly, following our conversation. His eyes were grateful. I had the impression that he wanted to talk to me, but he kept silent.

To see Terry on stage with his mother was a feeling very... amazing. I was witness to their reunion in Scotland, you know that I was in the confidence since St-Paul; I had the same impression as I looked at them on stage. It was as if they were both reliving the tension that they had so many years ago.

After the Premiere and the applause, it was the reception at the City Hall. It was very nice, the journalists were there to ask questions to the actors.

After the reception, we went to Eleanor's place and I went to put Anthony-William to bed. I think I pampered him like when he was still a baby. But he didn't care as long as we were only the two of us. He told me that he was waiting for his daddy. So I left him and I met Terry at the door. I told him that we had to talk. He looked at me and said that he had to wish his son good night first. I waited at the door and I heard them. Oh! It was wonderful to see them together! Anthony-William who uses the British accent whenever he speaks with Terry and his father! He told me that his father had shown him and when he recited the role of Hamlet with him, he also learned to speak like the British. His father complimented him on his talent. They get along so well together. Anthony-William asked him at the end if he was going speak to me. And he said yes, he would speak to me, because I was his mother. But that didn't discourage me. I waited patiently until he was done staying with his son. When he came he looked at me and continued to walk. I followed him to the living room where stood his mother's piano. He was taking place at the piano and he played a very soft piece. When he finished, he was watching me. I came near him and told him that it was very nice, that he hadn't lost his touch, that he was even better. As he was still not answering, I told him that I had taken a decision, that I was staying in New York to be near my son, because he wanted to be near him. I also told him that he would have to decide to address me some words, sooner or later, because I was the mother of his son and we were tied for life. I congratulated him on his performance and I left the living room. He didn't hold me back. I went back to the Andrew manor.

I will not be discouraged. But yet, it is Terry, I know him well and his reaction doesn't surprise me in the least.

These are the news of the moment, my dear. I will tell you the sequel whenever it happens!

I am sending you a big kiss and for your husband also.

Candy