Letter 57

My dear diary,

Yesterday my father came to tuck me in before sleep and mommy was waiting for him at the door. I think that they talked a bit... Just before breakfast earlier, as I was walking in the corridor to go to the living room, I heard daddy speak with grandfather and I hid to listen to them. I know that it is not polite and that I shouldn't have done that, but I was too curious, and I wanted to know what they were going to say. And I was very surprised by what I heard... Grandfather asked daddy if he had spoken to mommy. Daddy answered that mommy had talked to him to let him know that she would be staying in New York to be near me. I was happy to learn that! Grandfather said that mommy knew him well and that the best way she had found to convince him to listen to her was to remain close to him. He also said that she could have taken me back to Chicago and that she was taking into consideration his relationship with his son. Daddy stayed silent a bit, then he said that he knew that she was making an effort. He hadn't read the letters she had sent him. Grandfather said that it is because he knew that he would melt as he read the letters. He told him to stop behaving like a little spoiled boy who had his toy snatched from him and to take back the woman he loved. Daddy asked him why he was surprised? That he was just like him. He had done his duty like him and now, years later, he had come back, after having done what was expected of him to try and conquer back his ancient love. He also said that he hoped that grandmother took him for a ride like she should.

- Just as you are taking Candy for a ride? Answered grandfather. Then he added, Stop being stubborn, you've lost enough time as it is. Take back the mother of your son before another man comes to fetch her from under your nose...

And there daddy looked a bit astonished.

- What? Do you know something that I don't?

He was very scared that mommy would marry another man. I know that mommy wouldn't do that without telling me, so I wasn't very worried, but father did look anxious.

- She told you she was staying in New York. New York is not her orphanage, she will meet tons of young men of good family...

- But she has a child with me! That should discourage them, no?

- My son, tell me that if she had a child with another man, you wouldn't want her anymore...

- For me, it's different... I love her more than anything on earth!

You cannot imagine the joy that overflowed in me to hear daddy say that about mommy. He loved mommy, he just had to stop being angry and tell her!

- So you should read her letters... Yes, your mother told me that you hadn't read them...

- Because I know that I wouldn't be able to resist very long if I read them, daddy...

- Terrence, stop making yourself suffer. You are happy with your son, Candy will complete that portrait.

- I am surprised that you don't have a fiancée reserved for me...

- I did have one years ago, but after Candy convinced me to let you live your dream... It's her you must thank, or else I would have come here to take you back home by force... She gave you a family. Marry her, you have my benediction.

Grandmother arrived at that moment...

- Richard, you are giving your benediction to Terry for Candy, she said, smiling. Thank you infinitely!

Grandfather was very glad. At least what he said had marked a point with grandmother. Daddy was watching them, smiling.

- Mum, you should take him for a ride a bit more...

- Maybe so, said grandmother, but when he makes such declarations, he makes my heart melt!

Grandfather had taken grandmother into his arms. Daddy was watching them with a smile. I came in and I told daddy :

- Isn't it beautiful, that grandmother and grandfather are coming back together after all these years...?

In this way, I wanted to let him know that it would be nice for him too if he went back with mommy. He smiled at me. He had understood me. My grandparents were kissing! How it is funny to be writing that! Some time ago, I didn't even know that I had grandparents!