Is This Really What You Want?

I woke up way earlier than normal. I looked over to see EB curled into Brantley's back and couldn't keep myself from smiling. I laid there for a minute before slowly getting out of bed. I made my way downstairs and made myself a cup of coffee. I grabbed a blanket off the couch in the living room and headed for the back deck. I was a little surprised to see Mister Keith sitting out there. He glanced back and smiled, "Morning, Katie Lee."

I smiled and sat on the swing tucking my feet underneath me and covering my legs up, "Good morning. What's got you up this early?"

He shook his head, "Nothing. I just like to catch the sunrise some mornings. What's got you up this early?" He asked and took a sip of what I assumed to be coffee.

I shook my head, "Just thinking about everything."

Keith nodded, "Things not feeling right?"

"Things feel great and that's what scares me." I sighed, "I don't just have myself to think about anymore."

"Worried he'll walk out?" I wasn't used to having heart to hearts with Mister Keith so it was a little surreal to be talking to him about these things.

"Yes and no. I know he loves Elijah and would never walk out on him." I paused to think of the right words to say but Mister Keith took them right out of my mouth, "But the past still haunts you and you're afraid of a repeat."

I nodded, "Exactly. I can't stand the thought of EB getting used to having Brantley and I around all the time then something happens and he has to go back to splitting his time between us. It's going to be hard enough to explain things to EB when Brantley leaves for tours."

Keith sat up a little straighter and focused all his attention on me, "Katie Lee, that boy in there loves you. He might not realize it but his mama and I sure as hell did and still do. No matter what was going on if you called him or needed him he dropped everything and ran, hell he does it now. Y'all still have some things to sort through but I have faith that'll make it work one way or another."

I didn't have anything to say after that, I nodded like an idiot and sipped my coffee. I was on my third cup when Brantley came downstairs, his gray sweatpants sitting low on his hips, his body and tattoos on full display. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from smiling. He sauntered right on up to me and placed a kiss to my temple, "Good morning, baby. You been up long?" He asked grabbing a coffee cup out of the cabinet.

"Long enough to be on my third cup." I smiled turning around and admiring his bareback.

"Damn girl. You'll be bouncing off the walls the whole ride home." He said his attention to on his coffee.

I bit my lip trying to find the words I wanted to say so I wouldn't catch him off guard to badly, "Is this really what you want?" I blurted out and instantly regretted it as I saw him stop mid-stir. He didn't turn around right away but when he did I was very slowly.

"Is this really what I want? You're really asking me that?" I couldn't tell if he was angry or just shocked.

I nodded slowly, "This isn't just about you and me anymore, B. We have a little boy that we need to think about."

"You think I don't know that, Kat? When I'm not thinking about you, I'm thinking about him. I want this Kat. You, EB, all of it. I want us." He spoke his face barely changing. I wish he wasn't so bad good at hiding his emotions.

"I'm gonna wanna get married and eventually have another baby or two. I don't want to just be your baby mama for the rest of my life." That's when I saw his face change, I wasn't sure what the look was but it was something.

"You've never just been my baby mama, Katie. You've always been my number one. Don't you know that? Do you know the number of times I dialed up your number or drove to your dorm room after that night? I did realize what I had till I lost it. I wanted to admit that I was wrong and that I fucked up but I was too damn stubborn. You have this pull on me that no one else has ever had. So, yeah, one day we will get married and have another kid or two but for right now I wanna focus on us. I want to get into the swing of being a modern everyday family. I know shits gonna change here soon because I'll be touring but I'm hoping like hell to convince you to quit your job and let me take care of you." I had been so focused on what he was saying that I hadn't noticed he was right in front of my face.