Homecoming

Florence sat on her wooden seat, pressing her feet hard against the floor as if to ground herself, five minutes ago Copper had disappeared into another waiting room with a grim-faced doctor, infuriatingly Florence hadn't been allowed to follow.

She tapped her feet against the floor and checked the clock every few seconds to make sure time hadn't stopped still, it hadn't but nevertheless it dragged along wearily.

Cooper emerged from the waiting room her face a mask of relief and Florence immediately leapt up.

"She had a viral infection just like your said, it caused her to run a high fever and then eventually collapse but its treatable and she's going to be okay Flo, my baby's gonna be okay!"

Relief hit Florence like a tidal wave and all the emotions she'd been trying to keep in spilled out in a sob as she clutched Cooper, they wouldn't be losing Amberly, not now and hopefully not ever.

Her Mum was waiting at the door with a mug of tea and a smile on her face as Florence related the events of that night and showed her a picture of a tired and pale Amberly who'd still managed to dredge up a smile.

The question still remained about the tour, Florence half wanted to just cancel today and curl up in bed and watch movies for the entirety of the day but another stronger part of her forced herself to get into the steaming shower, update her Twitter status and dab at her under eye bags with concealer.

The Irvington hotel was Phillipson's most sought after venue, today marked the end of her tour at least where her hometown was concerned, Florence smiled as she saw seven texts from Andrew which all summarised into one good luck and lots of smiley faces.

Andrew was due home this weekend, everything was going to he back to normal before she even knew it had changed, Amberly was happy and well and all the business with Cole had merely been a blip on the radar, an old version of herself seeking something she no longer wanted.

She was truly happy that he would be leaving to find his own way in the world, it had worked for her with Colchester.

The day was a whirlwind as tour days usually were, she was only kept sane by the caffeine frequently given to her at each hour, but as usual all her readers were charming and the press hounded her with intrusive questions, she chose to ignore them and instead focus on the beaming faces.

"My friend Rebecca says that your book is so realistic that it has to be a real life story, I know that Dysmorphia was based on a real life story but what about Descent?"

An avid reader by the name of Ruth who was clutching her copy of Descent to her chest stared wide eyed at Florence.

She'd had this question a lot, but no one had ever gazed at her with such intensity this girl already knew the answer before she'd opened her mouth.

The hall had begun to clear out, and this girl was clearly such a fan, what would be the harm in pouring out her secrets to a girl so nice?

"Yes Ruth, you're really insightful this series isn't just a series, I've been really public about Dysmorphia being based on a true story, you're right Descent isn't exactly fiction I wrote it for a friend of mine to help him remember"

"So James is actually real?"

James had been her alias for Cole, and Cole was most certainly real.

Florence nodded wondering how fast it would take for this girl to tell all her friends and for them to tell all their friends and for social media to catch on, not long at all.

But she would rather give this girl the gift of the knowledge over a reporter who would pay hundreds, a reporters eyes wouldn't light up with the same happiness that they had been chosen to tell such an important message as Ruth's did now.

Maybe she too was like Florence, alone except for a few friends, shed surely be sought after once it was known that the Florence Clarke had entrusted her with a secret.

"So do you love James in real life? I know you loved Charles once before but I saw the engagement ring on your finger, I couldn't help it"

She seemed to burst with excitement.

"Omg this is amazing just like a fairy tale you're going to marry him aren't you! That's why you wrote him a book because he helped you to love again that is so romantic!"

Florence winced, she didn't want to disrupt this perfect little daydream Ruth but she wasn't going to lie either.

"No we're still friends but I'm marrying someone else, it was lovely talking to you Ruth and I hope that we will meet again"

She gave the little girl a hug and watched as she returned to her Mum who shot Florence a beaming smile.

Andrew stood at the arrivals gate and Florence wondered why she'd thought of Ruth when her fiancee stood right in front of her, finally returned, of truth be told she'd been thinking of Ruth or at least her words the entire week.

But this wasn't the moment.

Andrew was back and his smile was miles wide as a customs official checked the photograph on his passport and ushered him through into her waiting arms.

The first thing she noticed was that he smelled different, not of his usual orange soap but more chemically, but she pushed this thought to the back of her mind what did it matter how he smelled of course he'd smell different he'd been away from home for a month.

Andrew pushed her hair back for on her face.

"God I missed you so much"

"I missed you more"

This moment was a moment for the keeps as he leant down to kiss her, a shining moment in a confusing life that might plunge into a completely different direction if she voiced her worries to Andrew about the future they had together.

But for now she would seal her lips and play her role as the adoring fiancee, in fact she wasn't playing a role that was exactly was she was.