Chapter 4 - Maybe You Haven't Changed

Charlie's P.O.V.

My fingers lingered over the keys of the piano. It was so easy to play when my father was around. It was so easy when I was alone. But in front of people, I just couldn't. I'd tried multiple times and just made a fool of myself. I needed to find someone to help me. That could take forever, but I'm willing to wait forever for someone like my father. 

They suspect nothing, well, maybe James does. But he doesn't know how bad it really is. I'm completely lost, almost broken. Right now I'm going to make a promise. I'm going to find the old me, It's in there somewhere. Even if I never found another person like my dad. I always would have him. When I played, It felt like he was really next to me, smiling. Just like old times. 

*************************************************

Charlie's P.O.V. 

"BANG!" I woke up to the sound of my arm crashing against the piano keys. Did I really fall asleep here last night? Slowly I peeked through the door making sure no one was around, and walked out, locking it behind me. I walked down the empty hallway, wondering where everybody was. It's 9AM, shouldn't they be awake by now? I slid into a chair at the kitchen table and took out a magazine.

"Chhhaaarrrrlllliiiiieeeeeeee" Louis yelled while walking into the room. 

"What?" 

"Will you please pretty pretty please make us food?" Begged Niall giving me the puppy eyes while he walked in the room with Harry and Liam right behind him. 

"Preferably something that has carrots in it?" Louis asked excitedly. Carrots? What was he talking about? What breakfast food has carrots in it?

"Uhm.. Well I wasn't rea-"

"Do you have a cat?" Harry asked out of the blue.

"A cat?" I questioned.

"Yah, do you?" What was he talking about? I told him I had no pets... And a cat? What the heck? Weren't we just talking about food?

"Uh.. No..." 

"Don't mind Harry, I think  the curls are just getting to his head, that crazy boy. He sure does love cats!" Spoke Louis. Right.... 

"What ever we're having for breakfast, I'm not using a spoon. And personally, I don't think any of you should." Liam stated. These boys were uhm.. something?

"Alright... 1. I only cook breakfast on Sundays, the rest of the time you're on your own. 2. A cat Harry? A cat? Why? 3. Uhm.. Liam I don't understand what that's supposed to mean, but if it makes you feel better I won't use a spoon I guess..." I answered to all of them, very confused.

"Breakfast on Sundays? You still do that?" James asked as he walked in with Zayn not to far behind. 

"Mhm..." 

"Hey Charlie, Where do you keep your hair spray?" Zayn asked, suddenly seeming wide awake after he looked in the mirror. 

"Excuse me?" I responded. 

"There's some in all the bathrooms, go help yourself" Answered James for me. I'm beyond confused now. "I guess I should properly introduce you to the boys now..." He muttered.

"Yah think?"

"Alright, Zayn. Zayn Malik. He's mysterious and very vain." He said while waving towards the direction Zayn walked. 

"Aye! I am not!" Screamed Zayn from somewhere in the house. 

"I wouldn't deny it while you're looking in a mirror doing your hair..." James muttered. "Alright next, Louis Tomlinson. Louis... He's 20... But age is just a number." He chuckled

"Yup!" Yelled Louis, "But maturity is a choice! And I choose no!" He replyed happily. "Also, I love carrots! And wearing stripes, they're so cool! It's like you're a zebra!" He screamed.

"Anyways..." James continued. "This is Liam Payne. The more responsible one of the five, some call him daddy directioner." Directioner? What does that mean? "And he's afraid of spoons and loves turtles!" Alright then... "Over there's Harry Styles,he's a little curly cheeky fella. Huge flirt so stay away from him. He rather fond of cats though... Oh, but prefers the term pussy." Pussy? Where did James meet this kid? "And last but not least, Niall. Niall Horan." The words lingered in my mind.. Niall, Niall Horan. Why can't I get him off my mind? "He eats a ton, literally. Never seen someone eat so much in my life! You've probably noticed, but he's Irish while the rest of them are British." He finished. 

"Where did you meet them?" I asked

"The O2 Arena" He said casually

"The what?" I questioned.

"The O2 Arena. It's a stadium in London where they were playing while I worked there." Oh that's right, I knew the place sounded familiar.

"Wait, why were they performing there?"

"You don't know who we are?" Asked Liam sounding shocked

"Ever heard of One Direction?" Niall asked me

"Uh... A few times I think... Why?"

"WE'RE ONE DIRECTION!!!" Oh god. I should've known something was up with them, they just seemed so familiar. Why didn't I see it before? I'm guessing that's where the name 'Daddy Directioner' came from, because he was more responsible? This was going to be an eventful time while they were here. 

"Anyways, the reason why I came in here," James started, "Charlie, you said you still made breakfast on Sundays, correct?" 

"Correct."

"Would this breakfast happen to be pancakes, possibly, banana pancakes?"

"Yah. They are." I said confidently

"Interesting... Maybe you haven't changed.." He mumbled.

I knew what this was about. Every Sunday when we were younger my father and I would make banana pancakes and sing along to Jack Johnson and John Mayer, It was the highlight of every week, and was always so much fun. Afterwards we would go to the church down the road and sing in the choir. It wasn't my favorite thing, but my father enjoyed it, so I did too.

Sundays were always the best days. We spent all our time singing, playing music, and him teaching me new recipes to cook. How I missed those days. 

I looked up to see Niall staring at me. Something about his eyes made me warm up to him. They had this look. I couldn't describe it, but I used to always see it in my fathers eyes too. I never knew what It meant, but It gave me comfort. Maybe he wasn't that bad after all. I'd just have to give him a chance.

James P.O.V.

This is so confusing. Everything about her is the same. She does all the same things. She acts a tiny bit different, but just that she's more quiet now, but I couldn't blame her. Everything was the same. Well, except for the fact that she didn't play music in front of people any more, I couldn't understand that,  but I was determined to find out. Her eyes. They were different too. Not just the color had changed, they were empty. They didn't gleam like they used to. I needed to find a way to bring the sparkle back in her eyes. I was going to replace her emptiness. I had to, It's why I came.

Authors Note: Alright! How was that? Not many big events but it wasn't bad. Please comment, vote, or fan! I've gotten more reads but nobody's commented so I don't know if people actually like the story. So please comment! Thanks xx