Chapter 19 - The Funeral

Charlie's POV

It had been a week since mom died, and today was her funeral. I sat on my bed wearing a light grey sundress with a brown belt. I played with the end of the fabric, twisting it around in my hands. 

 There was a small knock on my door, and Zayn poked his head into the room, they widened and he opened the door fully and stepped in. His mouth was open and he slowly spun in circles. I chuckled, "I'm taking it that you like my room?" He nodded his head, still looking around. Letting him examine my room, I went back to fiddling with my dress. 

A few minutes later I felt the bed sink besides me, I looked up and Zayn was sitting there, with a worried look on his face. "You okay?" he asked. Honestly, I didn't know. Tears wanted to come, but they just wouldn't. I felt so broken, and at the same time, relieved. I was happy, but I was sad. So much had happened in the past couple of weeks. Too much had happened.

"I don't know Zayn..." I muttered, "I don't know..."

Niall's POV

We all sat in the den, waiting for Zayn to come down with Charlie. We all knew this was hard for her, really hard. 

Finally, we heard footsteps coming from the hallway. I stood up, hoping to see Charlie walk in, and that she would be okay, but instead Zayn walked in.

He looked at us and shook his head, "She's a mess."

Charlie's POV 

I paced my room, I'd have to leave eventually, I can't stay in here forever, I have to go to her funeral, I can't stay here all day and ignore it, right? I groaned and ran my fingers through my hair, I'd have to do it eventually.

I walked down the stairs and flung the door open to the den. All the boys jumped up and stared at me, I just stood there, "Lets go." I said, and walked out, heading towards the car. On the outside I might've seemed brave right then, but on the inside, I was debating whether I could do this or not. At the moment, I was thinking not.

I sat in the front row, in between James and Niall. I wiped my hands on my dress, I couldn't do this, it was to much, but I had to, and I was going to.

"....A few words from Charlotte Jones..." The words rang through my head, I had missed everything else. I wanted to run, but I knew I couldn't panic. Niall looked at me, smiled and nodded. 

I could see everyone from the podium. And they were all looking at me. "I'm Charlie" I said quietly into the microphone. I looked up and saw them all staring. "When my mom died, I didn't know what to do. My dad had already died and then my mother risked her life for me... and she lost her life." I paused, staring at all the people. "I was so confused and I didn't know what to do... but people helped me and I just wanted to thank them, you know who you are." I looked towards James and the boys. But mostly towards Niall. "I'm not the best with words, but it'll just be easier if I sing it..."

I walked towards the piano, and sat down I placed my fingers on the keys and let them guide themselves to hit the right notes, and then I sang. 

It's a Little bit funny this feeling inside 

I'm not one of those who can easily hide

I don't have much money but boy if I did

I'd buy a big house where we both could live

If I was a sculptor, but then again, no

Or a man who makes potions in a travelling show

I know it's not much, but it's the best I can do

My gift is my song and this one's for you

And you can tell everybody, this is your song

It may be quite simple but now that it's done

I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind

That I put down in words

How wonderful life is, when you're in the world

I sat on the roof and kicked off the moss

Well, a few of the verses, well, the've got me quite cross

But the sun's been quite kind while I wrote this song

It's for people like you that keep it turned on

So excuse me forgetting but these things I do

You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue

Anyways the thing is what I really mean

Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen

And you can tell everybody this is your song

It may be quite simple but now that it's done

I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind

That I put down in words

How wonderful lif is while you're in the world. 

I finished the last note and walked back to the microphone, and waited for the people to be quiet. 

"Your Song by Elton John." I stated, "It was her favorite, and if you were to put a lot of thought to it, you can find reasons for me to sing it today. But I thought she'd just like to know that was her song." I walked back towards my seat. I sat down and grabbed James' hand. 

That song was for you mom, and it wasn't like the last one. 

Authors Note: Kinda short! But I'm uploading again later tonight or tomorrow! :) Hope you liked it! Check out my other story "Dear Tanner..."! Follow me on Twitter? @Hanthedinosaurr. Thanks for reading! Fan, comment, vote, whatever! 

Hannah xx