Chapter 5 - Ocean Eyes in Paradise

Charlie's P.O.V.

I strolled down the road, rain falling down in buckets on to my shoulders. I had no idea where I was going but I didn't feel like being at home with all the boys. James wouldn't like this at all, I had told him I was going to my room, but I locked the window and climbed out the window. He wouldn't know.  

The rain silently fell down in little drops, against my skin and I walked slowly up to the beach, the salty air lingered around me. My feet sunk into the sand and I walked towards the shore. The cold water touched the tips of my toes, and i quietly hummed to myself. 

Call it a curse

Or Just call me blessed

If you can't handle my worst

You ain't gettin' my best

The song, I had heard it once or twice on the radio and it just stuck with me. Those words were always lingering in my mind. 

I slowly stepped forward and waded deeper into the water. The waves crashed against my knees. It felt so nice and peaceful. I was finally alone, with the music of the waves and rain slowly falling down and sliding against my skin. Weirdly enough, it felt like paradise. 

Laughter came from down the beach and I saw two figures appear out of the fog. They must think I'm crazy. I waded deeper into the water, letting it reach to my thighs.  "Hey! What are you doing?!" Somebody screamed, it came from where the two figures stood, staring at me. I looked away from them and back towards the horizon. And I dove under the wave crashing towards me. 

The water crashed against my skin, making shivers run down my spine. My hair floated in the water. I missed this feeling. I pushed off the ground and rose to the surface and took a deep breath of air. 

Suddenly, an arm came out and dragged me out of the water. When we got to the shore I looked up and saw two girls standing above me. "Are you crazy!?" One of them screamed, "The water's freezing, what made you go in there?" I stared at her. Like a stranger was going to understand. 

"Here, come with us" they other one said while sticking her hand out for me. I took it and followed them to their car.

I sat in the back, silently shivering. Looking out the window, but not really paying attention to anything. 

"You can come to where we're staying and get cleaned up and then we'll take you home, will that work?" One of them said. I just nodded my head in reply. 

The car came to a stop and I walked out not looking at my surroundings. I followed the two girls to the steps and kicked the ground while they waited for someone to answer the door. Almost immediately the door swung open and I heard two boys scream. "Danielle! Eleanor!" So that's who they were...

"Charlie?" My head shot up, and standing in front of me, was Liam and Louis. Oh no...

***************************************

Charlie's P.O.V.

"Wait.." Eleanor started, "What is going on here?"

"Well, this here is Charlie." Liam said motioning to me. "She's James' little sister." 

"This makes a lot more since now..." Danielle muttered. 

"What the heck?!" 

"Where were you?!"

"What did you think you were doing?!"

"You were in the ocean? In this weather?!" Everybody was talking at once.

"Just shut up!" I yelled. "It doesn't matter what I was doing, or why I was!" I felt like punching a wall. "I was going to come back! Wait till James is here, he won't care!" I received many scowls when I said that. As if on Que, he walked into the room. 

"What's going on here?" he asked, then he saw me. Drenched from head to toe, sand in my hair. And he said something that all I could do was smile. "Hey ocean eyes"

"Charlie here, didn't go to her room. She went to the beach, swimming! Luckily, Danielle and Eleanor were out for a walk and found her." Liam said. 

"You make it sound like I was trying to commit suicide or something." I muttered under my breath, receiving many looks. "Which I wasn't!" I added. I looked over to James, who was just staring at me. I'm not sure what he though because he looked so confused. But then, he started laughing. Yes, laughing. And I knew why. 

When I was younger, there were multiple times that I would sneak off and go swimming during the night. Many of those times my mom would find out and come and get me, and be extremely mad. But my dad, it was different. I would walk into the room dripping with water, mom behind me with her hand on my shoulder and a scowl on my face.My dad would say "Hey ocean eyes" and then when he looked up he would start laughing, and then ask me the same question every time. "Are you sure you don't have gills?" and would laugh and walk over to him, sitting on the floor next to his feet. And answer with the same thing every time too, 

"The fish are talking about giving me some, so maybe soon." Chuckling my father would answer, 

"They'll come soon Hun, don't you worry. Don't you worry." I would smile and walk upstairs and wash off. I loved those nights.

My brother, he was trying to recreate those nights in a way. "Are you sure you don't have gills?" he asked me, earning a laugh from me and strange looks from everyone else. 

"The fish are talking about giving me some, so maybe soon." I answered with a crooked grin. 

"They'll come soon Hun, don't you worry. Don't you worry." He said smiling back at me. I got up, smirking at Liam, and walked out of the room. On my way out I heard James say, "Don't worry about her, she's just having fun. She hasn't really changed."