When It Rains «3:1»

The day went on without disturbance.

Arthur was thrown back into his cell, Morgause instructing the two guards to clean up what was left of Emily.

Arthur sat down on the damp straw and cried.

He wasn't even ashamed.

He was truly properly upset that Emily had been killed. He hadn't even known her properly, but she amazed him. So brave and pretty, but funny too; clever.

And she had been young. Too young. She hadn't deserved that.

No one deserved that.

Arthur sat for a long time like that, head between his knees, tears rolling down his cheeks, just sat there, silently sobbing. His fists were clenched by his sides, and it look him a while to notice something in his hand. It was digging into his skin.

Slowly, Arthur uncurled his back and sat up straight against the cold wall of the cell. He brought his hand up to his eyes to see, for the dungeons were gloomy and dark, and opened his fingers.

In his palm lay the little golden key which opened the door to his and Merlin's cells.

Once again, that hope sprung up from the bottom of Arthur's stomach. It danced through him and made him leap to his feet and almost sing.

He stared at the little gold key, and while its colour was muted in the dim light, it still the most beautiful thing Arthur had ever seen.

It meant escape.