When It Rains «2:12»

It was all going to plan.

Just before the crack of dawn, Emily had snuck in and unlocked Arthur's cell without a fuss, then they had tried to find Merlin. It turned out the castle was very big.

They ran through tunnels and along corridors which twisted and turned like a rat's rest. Finally they came to the brick room which held the sustainment box.

Arthur and Emily rushed over to the it. Arthur was trembling with the fear of what he would find when he looked inside the slit at eye level...

Merlin was crumpled up against the wall. The gaping holes on his shoulders were fully healed,
and Merlin didn't seem to have lost too much blood. That was good.

"Merlin," Arthur whispered, trying to reach a hand through the slit, his fingers shaking. "Merlin, wake up, we're going to get out of here."
Merlin murmured something. He lifted his head but his eye was closed. It seemed as though he was trying to open it, but it caused him too much pain, so he opened his mouth instead and croaked out:
"Arthur..."

"Yes, yes it's me, Merlin, I'm here. Come on, we're going to get you out."

Merlin shuddered.
"It..." He breathed throatily. "A... A fallen star... It fell, from your..." He struggled for breath. "Fell from your heart, and...landed, in, in my eye."

Arthur was really confused, but allowed Merlin to continue.

"I screamed aloud as it tore through me, and now its left me blind..."
Arthur frowned.
Merlin smiled sadly.
"The stars," he said, "the moon... they have all been blown out- you've left me in the dark."

And suddenly Arthur couldn't keep the tears from spilling as Merlin continued.

"No dawn, no day, I'm always in this twilight, in the shadow of your heart."

Merlin turned to look at his master, although his eye was still shut.

"And in the dark," he whispered, "I can hear your heart beat. I tried, I tried to find the sun..." He said earnestly. "But then, it stopped, and I was in the darkness-" Merlin opened his eye and Arthur saw that it was no longer his own.
"So darkness I became."

Arthur's heart fluttered.

"What... What has happened to you, Merlin? What has she done to you?"

Merlin's mouth was twisted in a sick grin which didn't belong to him. His eye was a dark, sunken hole which seemed to suck in all light from around them and extinguish it, almost as distressing to look at as his ruined right eye.

Arthur gasped.

Emily stepped forwards.
"Um," she said. "Shall we, um, try the key?" She gave the small gold key to Arthur.

The prince shook himself. Whatever had happened to Merlin could be dealt with when they were out of this dreaded castle.

"Y-yes, of course. Thank you, Emily."
He stepped forwards to insert the key, but a bang behind them made them jump and turn.

Morgause stood in the doorway.