22

*sings Taylor Swift's song 22 in head*

Meredith's POV
So, we live together, have a baby together, but we aren't married. I'll bring this up to him later if I remember.
Currently, I'm sitting watching Zola, B and Ellis playing in the back yard, holding Alexandra, who we've been calling Lexie, after her aunt.

"Mom! Look at this!" Zola says and does a perfect cartwheel on the grass.
"That's awesome honey. Just make sure to be careful, you don't want to fall and get hurt." I say. There's a little wrap around porch on the house and we put a rocking chair out here for me and Lexie to watch the older kids.
"Yes Mom!" Zola shouts and does more cartwheels in the yard.

Bailey and Ellis are playing in the sand box, moving sand and putting it in their hair and on the ground.

Nathan walks outside and looks at all of us.
"This is exactly how I pictured my life." He says.
"I never pictured four kids, but this is pretty amazing." I start. "Nathan, have you every thought about getting married? I mean, we just had a kid together, and there's Zo, B and El, and we live together."
"I have thought about it, but I feel like we should wait a bit more, get used to the whole parenting four kids thing." He says.
"Yeah. I guess that makes sense. I just really love you a lot." I say.
"Hey, Mer, I'm not going anywhere. I know int he past people have left. Your mom, your dad, Derek, Lexie, Mark, Cristina left for a bit. A lot of people you trusted left, and I understand why you want people to stay. But I can promise, as long as I can help it, I won't ever leave you. I need you to understand that." Nathan says. "Whether or not we're married. Okay?"
"That means a lot, thank you." I say, a smile slowly forming on my face.
"Good." Nathan says, kissing me.

We sit on the porch for a while longer before we make dinner and put the kids down for the night.

Nathan's POV
Meredith asked me today about getting married. I guess that makes sense, we live together, we have a freaking kid together, it only makes sense.
But the question is, is she ready, or just looking at the next logical step?

My phone buzzes on the night stand, so of course I reach over and grab it.

Owen: they found Megan

Shit.

I call Owen.

"They found her? Where? What happened?" I ask.
"She was kidnapped. She's terrified. They had to take her to surgery but she was still completely sedated from her flight here from Munich." Owen says softly.
"Do you need me to come? I can meet you anywhere." I ask.
"Amelia is with me. I'll be fine. I'll let you know when she's awake." Owen says.

I hang up and go back to bed. But not before Meredith rolls over.
"Who was that?" She asks.
"Owen." I say, hoping she'll leave it at that.
"Oh? What was he calling about?"
"I uh, they found Megan." I hesitate saying.

She sits straight up and turns in the light.
"You're kidding, right?"
"I'm afraid not. Teddy confirmed it was her." I say.
"Are you going back to her?" Meredith asks softly.
"No, babe. I'm right here. I'll always be right here. But I need to know if she's okay." I say.

I feel Meredith tense and then relax as she process what I said.
I hesitate for a minute before saying something that will scare me to no end, but, hopefully, will be totally worth it.

"Will you marry me?" I ask.
"What?" Meredith asks.
"I love you so much. I can't give you any reasons why. But I know that I will always be here for you, and I love you so much. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, and Zola, Bailey, Ellis and Alexandra. The five of you are my family now. I will never leave you." I say.
"I'm speechless. Of course I'll marry you!" Meredith sayd, and leans over and starts passionately kissing me.