32

Meredith's POV
I leave therapy exhausted, but in a good way because I know that I have a lot to work on, but getting past the initial review of personal history is usually the hardest day you'll have in therapy.  

"Hey babe, how'd it go?"  Nathan says as I walk into the attending's lounge. 
"It went well.  I'm so tired, can we go home?  I want to get the kids into bed and then go to sleep.  The past 24 hours have been stressful."  I say, plopping down beside him on the couch.  
"Of course.  I'll get the kids while you change into your regular clothes and I'll meet you back here, okay?"  Nathan says.  
"If it's alright, can you stay while I change and then we can pick up the kids together?"  I ask.  "I'm afraid Derek will come back."  I say at a whisper.  
"Of course babe.  I'm always here.  You know what, what if I ask Cristina to watch the kids tonight so we can have a night and relax, just you and me?"  Nathan asks.  
"That sounds amazing.  Can we do that?"  I ask.  
"Of course.  I'll call Cristina now."  he says and pulls his phone out.  I change into my jeans and blouse, grab my jacket and purse and we head out.  

On the ride home, I text Cristina instructions of how to get Lexie to fall asleep and how to get Ellis to not bother her.  She texts back one of those eye rolling and laughing emojis.  

Derek's POV
I'm sitting in my apartment, down the street from where Mark, Lexie, Callie and Arizona lived years ago.  I'm dying to see Meredith and my kids, but she doesn't seem to want to see me.  I'll give her some time then I'll try talking to her again.  Maybe giving her some space will help.  

Bzz bzz bzz bzz

"Hello?"  I say into my phone.  
"Derek, stay away from Meredith.  She's a wreck because of you right now."  Miranda says.  
"Miranda Bailey?"  I ask.  "You said the same thing years ago, yet she came back to me."  
"Yes, but that time she wasn't happily married and didn't have four kids to think about.  It's not just her anymore.  You have to understand that, Derek."  Miranda says.  
"Miranda, she can't just keep my kids away from me.  Zola, Bailey and Ellis are mine, not her new husbands."  I say bitterly.  
"Yes, but she doesn't want you to be near them since you attacked her yesterday."  she says.  
"Attacked?  I was trying to calm her down.  She was freaking out!"  I protest.  
"All the same, she doesn't want you around them if you could even possibly act like that near them.  I'm not sure if you knew, but for a year and a bit after you uh died, she ran away and only contacted us once before she returned when she had Ellis.  Her kids became her life for that year, and that's due to you.  So I won't allow you to see her, or her kids and the rest of the surgical staff knows because I'm the chief or surgery now, and you also don't work at Grey Sloan Memorial anymore."  Miranda says.  
"Bailey, I need my kids."  I say sadly.  
"She'll come around in while, and if not, then when the kids are old enough to decide if they want a relationship with you or not.  Give it time.  But if I see you on GSH or near GSH property, I'll report you to the cops."  Miranda says firmly.  
"Okay.  I'll stay away.  I'll go back to New York maybe or LA."  I say.  

Meredith's POV
I'm sitting on the couch as Nathan brings over a glass of red wine and sits next to me.  I click on the TV and find HGTV and House Hunters International is on, and it's in London.  

"Hey babe, want to go on a vacation?"  I ask.  
"Uh where?"  Nathan asks.  
"I was thinking London.  It looks so wonderful on the show, and I've only been there once back that summer between college and medical school."  I say.  
"Okay.  I'll look into tickets tomorrow."  Nathan says.  
"Yay.  Should we tell the kids tomorrow or when we get the tickets?"  I ask.  
"Probably after we get the tickets.  Do you want to do first class or economy?"  Nathan asks.  
"Well, we're on the west coast, so there will probably have to be a layover in New York or Boston.  If there is a direct flight, it would be much more comfortable to do first class.  Maybe have Lexie sitting on one of our laps, that way it save a bit of money and save a seat for an actual sized human."  I say.  
"Good thinking."  Nathan says.  He opens the United app on his phone and books us five tickets to London for when the kids get out for school for the summer.  

"All set."  He says.  
"Awesome.  I can't wait!"  I say.  I snuggle in and eventually fall asleep.  

"Nathan?"  I ask, waking up in my bed, all alone.  
I go downstairs and find Derek and Nathan talking.  I stay on the stairs in the shadows where they can't hear or see me.  

"Dr Bailey talked to me today, said I have to stay away from Meredith."  Derek says.
"With good reason."  Nathan says coldly.  
"What?  That thing in the attending lounge?  Come on, seriously?"  Derek complains.  
"Yes, Derek.  Seriously.  I cannot believe you then.  I've had to go to therapy."  I say, butting into their conversation.
"You mean back to therapy?"  Derek says.  
"Yeah, whatever.  The point it, if you acted that way around me, then how would you act around the kids!  I cannot trust you anymore, Derek.  You broke my trust and there is no possible way I can get past this, unless it's when the kids are grown and they can make their own decisions."  I say.  
"Mer, you can't be serious."  Derek says, his jaw basically dropping.
"I'm as serious as a brain aneurysm."  I say.
"Oh shit, well then, I'll back off.  Can you at least send holiday cards?"  Derek asks, defeated.  
"Sure.  And you can send gifts on their birthdays, but please, don't show up until I tell them they specifically asked for you to be there."  I say.  
"Okay.  That's something, I guess.  Thanks Mer."  Derek says.  
"Your welcome."  I say.  

I hear small feet running down the stairs and I turn around just as Zola is coming into the open plan living/dining/kitchen area.  

"Dad Derek?"  Zola asks, unsure of what she's seeing.
"Hi Zo, how are you doing?"  Derek says, crouching down.  
"Derek, remember what I literally just said?"  I say.  
"Oh yeah.  Sorry."  Derek says as Zola comes slowly over to me.  
"Up?"  

I pick her up and she stares at Derek.
"Why did you pretend to die?"  Zola asks.  
"I uh my boss at work told me to, so I could continue working on a special project."  Derek says.  
"It was stupid and not fair to me and Bailey and Ellis.  But now Daddy is here, and he's not gonna leave, right?"  Zola says, turning to Nathan.  
"That's right, princess."  Nathan says.  "How about I go and tuck you in, and read you a bedtime story, sweetie?"  

"Yeah!  Can we read Dr Seuss?"  Zola asks.  
"Of course."  Nathan says and looks to me.  I give him a reassuring look as he carries Zo up stairs.  

"Well, I should go upstairs.  And you should go."  I say to Derek.  
"Meredith, there's really no hope of you forgiving me?"  Derek says.  
"Not right now, no.  Give us some space, then I will reconsider, but that only depends on your behavior.  Now, please leave my house.  I'm tired and I really just want to be in bed."  I say.  
"Okay.  Good night, Meredith Grey."  Derek says, and walks out of the house, kind of defeated.  Hopefully this puts him in his place.  

I go back upstairs and am headed toward mine and Natha's room, when i hear hum reading to Zola.  

I go over and stand in the doorway as he finishes the book, and tucks her in.  

"And mommy loves you too, very much darling."  I say and kiss my daughter's head.
"I love you too mommy." Zola mutters and falls asleep.

"Well, we should probably get to sleep too." I say.
"Yeah. I have a surgery around 9am." Nathan says.

We fall into bed and quickly fall asleep, savouring every bit of uninterrupted sleep we can get.

A/N: thanks so much for reading!!!  We're almost to 20K reads (at 19.4K last I checked) This is truly amazing.  Seriously guys, I had never pictured this. So as usual, please vote, comment and share if you like it!!  I'll try to have an update again by the end of May! 
Xoxo, Kallie Grey