33

Heads up: there's some swearing, I try to keep it to a minimum.  If you're not a fan of swearing, it's right when Lizzie is coming into the scene if you want to skim or skip that part.  I hope everyone enjoys this update!  

Meredith's POV
Flash forward three weeks.

Bzz bzz bzz bzz
Meredith, can we talk? I want to see Zola and Bailey ~Derek
Maybe. Give me a day to think about it. ~Meredith
Okay. Thanks. ~ Derek

"Who was that babe?" Nathan asks.
"Derek. He wants to see Zola and Bailey. I told him to let me think about it." I say.
"Well, I'm all for Zola and B getting to know their dad. But what about Ellis? I know she's Derek's daughter." Nathan says.
"She doesn't know life without you. It would confuse her more I think. In any case, she doesn't know Derek as her dad, she knows you. So let's just keep her in her routine." I say. I grab my travel mug and fill it with coffee.
"Zola! B! Ellis! We have to leave soon!" I shout up the stairs. I run upstairs and quickly make sure they're all up and ready to go. I change Lexie's diaper and get get dressed for day care and grab the diaper bag.

"Let's go!" I say and we all like into the car. We drop Zola and Bailey off at school and bring Ellis and Lexie to the hospital day care and we start our days with rounds and the interns and residents.

"Mer, I mean Dr Grey, may I speak with you please?" Derek asks as I finish rounds.
"What Derek?  I said I would think about you seeing the kids." I say, looking at my patients chart.
"I know, and I'm grateful. But Amy used to be the only sister who knew I was alive.  Did you tell anyone?" Derek asks.
"No, but I would ask Amy or you know, Mark's sister Olivia, who works here." I would say not looking up from the tablet.
"Olivia Sloan is here?" Derek asks.
"Yeah. She was my OB with Ellis and Lexie." I say. "I met her out in Boston a couple years ago."
"Crap. She was so much younger than Mark and I that I kind of forgot she existed." Derek says.
"Oh, I'm sure she'd love to hear that." I say sarcastically smiling.
"Meredith, seriously?"  Derek says. 
"Sorry.  That was meant to be sarcastic.  I can page her if you'd like.  Wait, why are you asking?"  I ask, looking up at him.  
"Lizzie called.  Apparently she's coming out to visit you and the kids."  Derek says.  
"Yeah, we've become friends ever since the nerve donation."  I say.  
"You're kidding me, right?"  Derek asks.  
"No, I'm serious.  She's been a great influence the past couple of years while you were "dead""  I say using airquotes.  

I hear heels clicking and then a familiar face showing up.  

"Lizzie!"  I say, walking around Derek to his sister.  
"Meredith!  It's so good to see you!  How's Zola, Bailey, and Ellis?"  she asks.  
"Good, I also have another daughter now, her name is Lexie, after my sister who died in the plane crash."  I say.
"Oh, is she also my idiot brother's kid?" Lizzie asks.
"No, I'm remarried to Nathan Riggs, a friend of Owen's from the army."  I say.  "Speaking of your brother, here he is."  
"Derek Christopher Shepard."  Lizzie says.  "How dare you fake your own death and traumatize my, my kids and the rest of our family.  Ma almost died of a heart attack but thankfully she was at the hospital visiting Meredith and the kids, so we had Nathan to fix her."  
"Ma had a heart attack?"  Derek whispers.  
"Yes, you idiot.  We all believed you were dead.  Meredith went off the grid for almost a whole fucking year because of you!  She was torn apart!  Thankfully she had Alex and Nathan to help her and the kids.  And Maggie and Amy.  They all really helped a lot.  And you, you asshole who shirked your responsibilities!"  Lizzie says as she starts to cry.  
"Liz, let's go to the day care so you can meet Lexie and see Ellis.  Alright?"  I say, directing her away from Derek who was standing there, with an astonished look on his face.