[Chapter Twenty-Three]

“I can’t believe you’d go to the one place that could actually put you in jail,” your mother shrieked as you walked through the front door.
You knew it was going to be bad, but you were unprepared for this type of reaction. “Mom, Shuichi’s eighteen; I can’t get thrown in jail for being with him.”

“I don’t care! You are being charged with rape and assault! Doesn’t that alarm you in any way?”

You carelessly shrugged your shoulders as you walked past her. “Not really.”

“What has gotten into you?!”

You didn’t reply as you calmly walked to your old bedroom and closed the door. Truth be told, you were calm because of your visit with Shuichi. He had an amazing way with words and calmed your troubled soul.

“Maybe I should have Mom go see him.”

Suddenly, your cell phone went off and you casually flipped it open. “Hello?”

“Miss [Last Name], it’s Chiyo.”

“How’d you get this number?”

“My Uncle’s the principal, remember? It’s totally normal for me to snoop around his office without anyone suspecting me. I got your cell phone number from the records.”

“Alright,” you drawled out. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

“As soon as I heard, I wanted to nail Jiro’s ass to the ground. If this goes to court, I’ll definitely be a witness; if you need me for anything to help clear your name, say whatever it is and I’ll do it.”

You felt tears welling in your eyes. Chiyo was being incredibly kind.

“Why,” you whispered.

“Because I’ve seen the way Shuichi looks at you. For years, I wished I was that girl, but seeing the two of you together with the same look in your eyes; Jiro’s a fucking douche bag who is going to burn in hell.”

You laughed lightly. “That’s quite a powerful statement, Chiyo.”

“Yeah well, he is. I should castrate him.”

“Chiyo, I believe that would be going too far,” you mused.

“Whatever. So, just give your lawyer my cell number and tell him to call me if he needs me, okay?”

“Sure thing, Chiyo. Thank you for everything.”

“Oh and on a side note, the whole school knows about you, Shuichi, and Jiro scandal. And everyone believes Jiro’s the liar; I don’t think he realizes what he has coming.”

“Thank you, Chiyo, for your support. I’ll be sure to tell Shuichi the next time I see him.”

“Okay! Bye!”

She hung up the phone and you shook your head in disbelief. You didn’t have much time to think about it as your father walked through your door.

“Yes? May I help you?”

“I’ve done many things in order to protect and defend you, but deliberately going against a lawyer’s advice is something I can’t defend you from. What were you thinking?”

“He was the only one who would make it okay, Dad. Mom would understand,” you whispered solemnly.

“I highly disagree. She doesn’t seem to understand why you would do such a thing.”

“Seek comfort from the man I love? Does that really sound so absurd that you can’t wrap your mind around it?”

Your father appeared flabbergasted as he opened and closed his mouth waiting for a response to come from his lips. You shook your head as you combed your fingers through your hair.