[Chapter Twenty-One]

You passed the next day by running errands. If you kept your mind busy, then you wouldn’t think about how you were supposed to be working. You spent too many hours in bed already trying to figure out what you were going to do; you couldn’t keep going at it.

It was a little after one in the afternoon. You were in the kitchen washing the dishes. Suddenly, there was a knock at your door. As usual, you jumped slightly, startled by the sudden noise in the once deathly silent room. However, you felt your chest tighten when your heart didn’t slow down. Something was wrong.

Hesitantly, you made your way over to the door. Your hands were trembling as you felt adrenaline rush through your veins. Gently, you grabbed onto the doorknob and pulled open the contraption.

“Hello.”

“Hi. Are you Miss [First Name, Last Name]?”

[][][]

“I-I mean how-how could th-this happen,” you sobbed, clutching tightly onto the Kleenex your mother had given you.

“Sometimes bad things just happen,” she answered, her hand rubbing onto your back.

“B-but Mom,” you cried, turning to stare at her.

The action caused your vision to wobble a bit which made your stomach churn. Your head whirled back to its correct position, before you lurched forward and emptied your stomach into the toilet once more. Your mother continued rubbing your back as you hurled whatever was left in your stomach. You could hear the footsteps of your father.

“Thank you,” your mother whispered as she took a glass of water from his hand.

You finally subsided and wiped your mouth before taking a swig of the water. You were falling apart. Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse.

“Is Hiroshima still here,” your mother inquired.

“Yes. He’s in the living room. We’re going over some… options.”

“Oh God,” you moaned as more tears poured from your eyes.

Options; the way your father said it sounded like the options weren’t very appealing. Things must be really bad.

“My poor baby.” Your mother turned her attention to your father. “Honey, why don’t you go back to the living room?”

“Sure thing.”

He didn’t say anything to you as he turned and went back the way he came. You were leaning against the bathroom wall as you continued to sob.

“We’ll get through this,” your mother told you. “I know we will.”

You didn’t believe her. She didn’t sound convincing. She was just saying these words to comfort you. You turned to her and grabbed roughly onto her shirt.

“Mom, I want to see him.”

“I don’t think that-”

“I need to see him.”

“Hiroshima said it wouldn’t be wise.”

“Fuck Hiroshima! I need to see him!”

You roughly got up from the floor and brushed past your mother. She wasn’t that far behind you.

“[Name] stop this! You can’t go see him; I forbid it.”

Angrily, you whirled around. “Then it’s a good thing I’m no longer under your jurisdiction.”