Chapter two

We stand on the field, waiting to start. We already had the pep rally, schools over, and now it's time for the cheerleaders to cheer and the boys to run on the field. "Alex, were gonna be the pole holders!" Jes says. I hate being the one lifted into the air, but I nod anyway. The girls lifting us walk over to us and get in position. I step on there hands, and they lift me up. Jes does the same, then they hand us our poles with the breakaway sign. I see the boys start to run our way, and they reach us. They run through it with a lot of force, and I fall. I prepare myself to hit the ground, but I land in strong arms. "Lex! Watch where your going girl!" Sam says and I smile. "Thank you for catching me!" I say smiling and he laughs. "Hey Romeo! Let go of my daughter and get over here!" Dad says. I throw my head back and laugh. Sam says me down and Jes runs over to me. "You scared me! I thought you were gonna get hurt!" She says hugging me. "Hey! I've been through worse pain to let a simple little fall kill me!" I say and laugh. We run back over to the girls and start our cheer.

It's about half way through the first half, and the score is 3-2, with us in the lead. There striker got pass out sweeper and is right on top of Sam. Sam dives for the ball, and grabs it. The guy purposely kicks him in the head and the ref blows the whistle and gives him a red card. Sam falls limp and dad runs onto the field. The EMTs run over there and I throw my pompoms down. "Sam!" I scream. Jes grabs me by my waist so I can't run over there. Two guys run over there with a gurney. "Sam!" I scream. I let the tears come and let my imagination tell me about what could go wrong. I try to pull away from Jes, but she pulls us down to the ground. I cry and she starts to rock us. The guys load Sam onto the gurney and rush him into the ambulance. I turn and cry into Jes' chest. She rubs the back of my head comfortingly. "He's gonna be okay! He's gonna be okay!" She whispers in my ear. The sirens start and I cry harder thinking about when they were there for me and mom. They soon fade away, and all you can hear through out the whole field, is my sobs. The other team walks over to ours and they start talking. Then they get in a circle and wrap there arms around each others shoulders. "Alex!" I hear dad say. Jes looks up at him, and he motions for her to let me go to him. As soon as her arms are removed from my waist, I sprint to dad. I get to him and hide my head in his chest. The whole team walks over to us and we have a big group hug. I'm not the only one crying, but I'm the loudest. Three out of the four people I would need to help me get over this aren't here. Sam because he's the one in the ambulance on his way to the hospital, Taylor because he's who knows where serving for our country, and mom because she's dead. Mathew (my other best friend) comes and picks me up. He carries me to the car and sets me in the seat. "Were all gonna go to the hospital! Only his family will be able to go in though! You can sit with me if you like!" He says removing the fallen hair out of my face. I nod and whip my eyes. He gets in the drivers seat, and that's when I realize we are in his car.

We get to the hospital, and we all go to the front office. We walk in with our sweaty, bloody, tear soaked uniforms and the nurse stairs at us with a look of purr terror. "We're here to see Samuel Jones." I say my voice coming out horse due to crying so much. "He's in intensive care right now! He's in room 214, you'll have to wait in the waiting section." She says. I nod and we all walk to the elevator. Dad and I plus a few of the other boys get on the first elevator ride. One our ride is done, the rest come up. I lead the way to his room, and stop when I see his parents. They look up at me and his mom starts crying again. I slowly walk up to them. "What's the news?" I ask. "He's in a coma!"