Scrapped (3)

"Hey Pete..." a mechanic greeted reverently after throwing away the last of the party streamers. It was the final day of clean up.

"I'm sorry...about your cousin...Victor. It must be hard to lose both of them in similar freak accidents." He paid respects despite being treated unfairly by the dead man.

"Don't bother me about it." Peter responded curtly. He proceeded to light up a cigarette—might as well since the fire alarms were disconnected.

His mechanic stared at him, perturbed. He originally assumed that Peter didn't want to talk about it because it unnerved him. But Peter seemed heedless of Victor's death.

"Just worry about pulling the remaining wallpaper away. I don't wanna be stuck here another night." 

Before the mechanic could even respond, Peter turned to one of his other working men:

"Hey, is the decor gone? That includes the giant gift box from the Prize Corner." 

The latter casted a furtive glance and answered,

"Uh, yeah."

Peter could tell he was hiding something.

"Just one problem, sir..." he continued. Peter took the cancer stick from his lips, eyes tautening with fresh suspicion. 

"You know how we were supposed to put the prizes and junk in a big box to be stored away?" 

"Yyyess?" Peter was unable to understand how an issue with this could arise.

"I couldn't find the Marionette doll. The puppet? None of us could. It wasn't in its normal gift box, and I checked every inch of the building. I think maybe someone took it when we weren't here." He calmed a little when figuring Peter wouldn't become upset over a feeble puppet.

His mind changed when seeing the boss' pupils shrink as he crushed the burning cigarette in his hand without reaction to the heat.