23. What A View

The air was crisp, cold, and dry. The seemingly abandoned warehouse was situated in the middle of the city, surrounded by a high grassed plain. The windows were heavily barricaded with newspapers as first layer, wooden pallets as second and reinforced steel bars as a third. Not a single ray of sunlight could possible penetrate such a barrier. Both the rotten smell that was tangible in the air and that barricade were clear flashing neon vampire signs.

I had no idea if these bastards had taken a part in Jozie's beating, but I didn't give a flying shit. Dante was most likely out of town by now, there was no way of finding him. These jackasses were going to pay with or without having an allegiance to Dante. If they were alleged to him... oh boy. A short growl escaped my lips. I was going to enjoy this.

The hard, rugged bricks were digging in my back, through my shirt. I hadn't changed since we left the hospital but it didn't matter now. If the last thing those blood suckers saw was my perfectly little ass, then so be it.

'' So, what's the plan?'' Castiël whispered next to me. He hadn't changed either. I didn't know if he could look any worse, we were going to find out.

I didn't look at him, keeping my eyes on the rusty door, barely hanging on its hinges.

'' We go in, turn this place in a blood bath, we go out.'' There was no way he was going to agree to this. I was giving him a last chance to back down from this.

He chuckled softly, '' Alright then.''

I snapped my head towards him. Thick shadows were covering half his face, but I could easily decipher a teasing grin. '' Are you serious? You're going through with this?''

'' You asked me to watch your back, I'll watch your back. If it means slitting a few throats, so be it.''

I had asked that but I never ever thought he would actually go through with it. '' You are going to get your hands dirty? You'll kill vampires?''

He shrugged, '' You said any circumstances. Plus, I'd rather fight a vampire nest than trying to calm you again. That shit hurt.''

To say that hearing him say that surprised me was an understatement. Prestige's never get their hands dirty, that's why they always hired Hunters and Trackers to kill me. They were too busy snobbing around in their immaculate dresses and suits.

It only occurred to me then that I had never seen him in action. He mustn't be that bad if he had been able to close to me during my blackout.

Before I could say anything, a large crash sounded from the warehouse. This wasn't the time to discuss this, I had some killing to do. A whole lot of killing to do. He hadn't failed me the first time he told me he had my back.

I thought back at that scene in the hospital. He had stood up for me. It had to mean something. He wouldn't just put his family's integrity on the line for a random chick.

He leaned down until his lips were next to my ear, '' Let's go in there and kill some bloodsucking fuckers.'' He sounded like a five-year-old about to enter a candy store.

I was confusingly turned on by that but I couldn't agree more. Without a better plan in mind other than tear their throats out, I barged in the warehouse. I slid the rusty door open without bothering being quiet. What was the point anyway? This wasn't an assassination, it was a slaughter.

A small group of vampires were circling a wooden table were lay a lifeless corpse. Good, recently fed vampires meant bigger challenge. All heads snapped towards me, fangs bared, eyes flashing. Blood covered their white teeth and dripped down their chins.