Chapter 20☽

Elijah
"But there's not just a rogue, there's also something... else. Or someone else. It kinda smells like a werewolf, crossed with another scent that I've never smelt before." I say to Jaye. He thinks for a moment before finally saying, "But I have." I raise my eyebrow in confusion.

"Huh?" I enquiry.

"I've smelt that other werewolf before. Not that specific one, but the same species." He says. I give him a look that clearly says, so-what-the-hell-is-it-called, and his eyes widen in understanding.

"Oh!! Right. Well, before I met Paige," he pauses and looks at her with love struck eyes. "My pack signed a treaty with another pack, entirely made up of a rare werewolf species called hexwolves. They are part werewolf, part witch, and can be very helpful when you need magic." He finished. I suddenly hear a high pitched scream in the distance.

"We have to go and help them," I say. Jaye looks reluctant, but after the strong smell of blood hits his nose, he immediately decides that we had to go and help whoever was being attached by that rogue.

"Paige, you stay here. Elijah and I will be right back, okay?" Jaye commands. Paige looks reluctant, but hesitantly gives in and nods her head.

In an instant, Jaye and I have shot off into the forest next to the road, following the scent and sound that lead us to the hexed wolf, and the rogue.

A rather attractive woman in her early thirties lay at the roots of a large tree, soaked in blood with three large rogues towering over her.

"Hey, don't touch her," I growl. As an alpha, it was my job to protect the innocent from rogues, whether they were in my pack or not.

"Says who? A puny alpha that can't even protect his own mate? And a pathetic father, who couldn't even tell his daughter the truth about what she was." The rogue pouts sarcastically.

"Who are you, and how do you know that stuff about us?" I say, suddenly a mix of confusion and curiosity. The rogues laugh and say, "Us rogues are always multiple steps ahead of you, and we always will be." With that, the three rogues shift and run off into the woods, towards the road.

"Jaye, you go back to the car to make sure they're alright. I'll join you in a second. I just have to help this woman." I say. Jaye looks reluctant, but eventually nods his head and leaves me alone with the so called, 'hexwolf.'

433 words.