Chapter 22☽

Elijah
"What's that smell..?" I say suddenly as something rustles in the bushes. I turn towards the sound and see at least a dozen rogues slowly stalk towards me, teeth bared and hackles raised, a threatening growl erupting from each one of their throats. I was outnumbered big time, and seriously wishing I didn't send Jaye back to the car.

"Rogues." I growl, feeling my eyes glow and my voice deepen as Marcus takes over. The hexwolf looks at me and and gasps in shock as I look back at her to make sure she was okay. She shrinks into the tree roots once more, and I suddenly realise she's not afraid of me.

One big black wolf with red glowing eyes and teeth bared stood in the centre of the group.

"Alpha Elijah, what a pleasant surprise," he says as he shifts back.

"Finn," I say with a stiff nod of my head as a form of greeting. He snarls, "That's Alpha Finn to you."

"Fine, Alpha Dipshit, ready to get your ass kicked?" I say, and shift, allowing Marcus to take over.

The last thing I hear before I am pushed to the back of my mind and Marcus has completely taken over, is; "I can ask you the same thing." Before Finn shifted as well.

Marcus
I bare my teeth as a wolf leaps into the air and lands in front of me. Jumping forward, I bite down on the wolf's neck and hear a satisfying crunch before I let go.

One of the wolves grabs my tail and drags me towards it, and I turn around and bite down on its neck. It doesn't crunch like the other one's, so I fling him into the closest tree and he shifts back. I make my way over to him and he shows is neck in submission. He's dead in an instant.

I whip around and see three of the rogues stalking there way towards me, more than half a dozen remaining at the alpha's sides, waiting for their order to attack.

The rogue in the middle leaps forward and I duck. The other does the same, so I sidestep out of the way and they both land in a heap on top of one another. The third wolf grabs my neck and I whimper, but I swing my head into its side and hear a crack as one of his ribs breaks. He lays down and shows his neck in submission. I'm about to bite down on his neck when a dark purple-grey wolf with violet eyes leaps in front of him. I immediately realised it was the hexwolf, and she subtly shook her head as if to say, "No, not that one." I notice a wolf coming up behind her and I leap over her, and land on it's back. It jumps around for some time and eventually flings me off. I hit a tree, but the rogues throw wasn't very strong, so I get up without a problem. It leaps towards me again but I side step, and it hits the tree. The impact forces it to shift back, and I bite down on his neck.

The two wolves in a pile were now making their way towards me again. I leap on top of one and as the other goes to bite me, I slide off and he bites the other wolf instead. He looks shattered, and just lays down next to the wolf. He shifts back and gently strokes the rogues hair, tucking strands behind her ears, who had also shifted back. He picks up a torn piece of fabric from one of our clothes, and wraps it around her, doing the same for himself.

"Kaitlyn? Kaitlyn, answer me!" He says, tears slowly rolling down his cheeks. He looks up at me, and by the look on his face I realise that he had just killed his mate. He shows his neck in submission, but I leave him.

He curls up next to his mate and just lays there, as the chaos continues around him.

677 words.