CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Ubbe and Hvitserk's eyes were more than wide when they saw Vál by the door

Ubbe and Hvitserk's eyes were more than wide when they saw Vál by the door. Both children got filled with adoration, especially when they saw the amount of armory she had. They both hurried to the foreign woman, eyes still wide.

"Is those swords yours?" Ubbe said in awe and Vál smiled as she nodded. Their eyes widen even more as smiles covered their faces. Another smaller boy walked behind them, his hair slightly longer and had a hint of yellow. He hid behind the others, his eyes more filled with fear than admiration. Vál smiled at him, thinking he looked rather cute, clearly the youngest of them.

"Are you a friend of our brother?" Hvitserk asked and she nodded.

"I am," She smiled.

"Are you going to stay with us?" Ubbe quickly asked as Sigurd ran away.

"If your father allows me too," She answers truthfully. Björn had said she could live here but his father was the King. If Ragnar didn't want her here she would leave. Ubbe and Hvitserk looked at their father with wide eyes, hope filling their bodies. Ragnar took a sip from his cup before looking at his firstborn son. Björn only looked at him, almost telling him not to send Vál away.

"Of course, you're very welcome Vál. I knew your father very well, a good man and even greater warrior," Ragnar said with a kind smile. The boys smiled in happiness before running to their mother, the queen who seemed rather hesitant towards Vál.

"Thank you Ragnar," Vál said. Björn seemed please by his father and soon Ragnar walked up to the Queen, eyeing the man sitting on the throne. Ragnar questioned who he was as Vál walked up to Björn, she looked up at him and his eyes were glued on the foreign man sitting on the throne. Ragnar soon turned to the now chatting crowd of people in the great hall. He raised his cup as two men placed a cup with mead in both Vál and Björns hands.

"My son has returned tonight. My son has survived the cold mountains and killed a bear with his own hands. From today and until my son takes his last breath he will now be know as Björn Ironside!" Ragnar toasted as the crowd cheered. Vál smiled as everyone raised their cups, she could feel the proud feeling that oozed from Björns body.

"TO BJÖRN IRONSIDE!" The crowd cheered before drinking from their cups. Vál got surprised when Björn placed a hand on her back and guided her towards a table filled with food. Her stomach rumbled in excitement, she hadn't seen this amount of food in a very long time. They sat down and filled their plates quickly before they stuffed their face with mead and vegetables.

"Well?" She asked and nudged him with her elbow. Björn looked at her with a frown. "Did you imagine your return to be like this?" He shrugged.

"I hoped it would." He said and she nodded. She moved her attention to the small boys that stood by the Queen.

"Ubbe, Hvitserk and Sigvar?" She asked and Björn smiled.

"Sigurd." He corrected her and she smiled as she repeated his name. "They seem to like you," He continued as he chewed his food with a small smile on his face. Vál only shrugged as her cheeks got stained with a light shade of pink.