CHAPTER THIRTY

"It's great to see your again Vál

"It's great to see your again Vál." Lagertha said as she embraced the young woman, Vál hugged back, feeling the warmth radiating from Lagertha's body. When they pulled away Lagertha gave her a wide smile filled with pride and happiness.

"Great to see you again as well Lagertha." Vál said with a smile. Before they could say anything else the young sons of Ragnar who hadn't let go of her legs pulled her away.

"You have to see what we've practiced!" Ubbe said as he took her hand as Sigurd took her other and Hvitserk pulled her jacket. When she turned her head to look at Lagertha and Björn they only smiled as she shrugged. She ran with the younger sons towards the open ground and saw how they quickly grabbed their play swords. Sigurd proudly showed her when he raised his sword and she chuckled.

"Great Sigurd, show me what your brothers have taught you!" Vál said and he nodded before running towards his waiting brothers. She watched with a smile on her face when she saw how Ubbe and Hvitserk attacked their younger brother who blocked their hits. She felt proud even if she saw that both of the older brothers took it easy on Sigurd who fought with everything he had but he was still smaller than them.

"Great Sigurd, use those big arms of yours and swing that sword a bit faster." Vál said and Sigurd nodded. The youngest brother quickly learnt and Vál walked over to the play swords and took one for herself before walking back to the giggling brothers.

"Join us Vál!" Ubbe yelled and she nodded. All three brothers ran to attack her and she had to focus to block their hits. Show got impressed, it wasn't perfect all the times but they knew more than she thought. A wide smile was present on her lips through it all, laughing with the brothers. She remembered when her father had taught her to use a knife. She could only hope they would remember this when they got older.

"Brothers, I think it would be kind to let Vál rest since we've been traveling for a long time. Plus the feast begins at dawn." Björn said and his younger brothers stopped in their tracks, almost looking guilty. Vál only rolled her eyes before telling them they could continue the next day and go to their mother. Vál could feel Björn's eyes burn down her back when she walked over to place her sword with the rest.

"I nice to know that you still worry about my well being, especially after acting so strange towards me." Vál said and turned to look at him. As he raised his brow she crossed her arms over her chest. "You know what I mean." She said when he didn't answer.

"Excuse me for not being all chatty when my uncle left to stay in Frankia Vál." Björn said and she rolled her eyes.

"You seemed rather chatty before we talked about traveling, is something wrong?" She said and he only shook his head.

"No. There's a bath ready in our cabin, to get ready for tonight." Björn said before he turned around and walked towards the cabins. She let out a sigh and for the first time she arrived here she noticed the cold. After being in such a warm climate in Frankia she'd forgotten the chilly air in Kattegat which surprised her. Her body adjusted fast which her mind fully hadn't done yet. As she followed Björn to the cabins she sound of flapping was heard and she let out a sigh. She didn't bother to look up when she heard the croaking.