chapter ten.

Now that my mother was out of my life, there was one more person I needed to speak with. But before i went to see my brother, i invited Ally and Anthony to come over for dinner before they left with Delilah for the next week. Delilah had dragged both Ally and Lauren upstairs to discuss something pony related, so that left Anthony and I in the backyard together.

"So how long til he gets out?" Anthony took a long sip of beer as he raised his eyebrows at me, waiting for my answer.

"I actually don't know. I didn't even ask him the last time I went, and that was right after he got there." i leaned back on the chair and titled my head up, sighing.

"So he might not even make it to the wedding? That's a bummer." He nodded sympathetically.

"I guess it kind of is, I'm not really affected though. Like don't get me wrong, he's my brother, I love him, but we weren't ever close like that. You know, you've been around a while." I held my left hand out flat in a way to mean, oh well, while i shrugged my shoulders.

"Yeah I know. I mean we always got along though, he's a cool dude. It's just, he had his life and you had yours."

"Yeah, he had his life alright. A drug dealer. Like a real drug dealer, my brother. Who would have ever thought? I mean we all smoke weed and shit- well except Ally," we both laughed at that, "But he was really out here like, selling actual cocaine."

"Ah yes, as opposed to faux cocaine." Anthony tried to hide his smirk as I looked at him and rolled my eyes dramatically.

"It's just crazy to me. What for? He worked, he always kept a steady job. He made decent money there too."

"Maybe that's one of the things you should ask him when you go." He paused for a moment, like he was thinking. "Are you going alone? I don't know if that would be the wisest choice.." He trailed off, looking at me and trying to gauge my reaction.

"I don't know.. i don't really want to go by myself, but I don't want Lauren to be in a place like that."

"I could go with you if you want? Just so you aren't alone?"

"Would you?"

"Yeah I mean, of course. We could go next weekend? All five of us- I mean, you and I can go see Jake, but Lauren and Ally can take Delilah to that mall over there, like we could ride together, if you guys wanted to. Or, I don't know, never mind, don't listen to me." Anthony hung his head down and rubbed at his neck nervously.

"Why are you being so weird!?" I laughed at his nervousness, it was out of character for him. "I think it's a good idea actually. We don't really go out as a whole family like that. We could go out to eat afterwards or something."

"I don't know, I guess I didn't know how you would feel about it because you and Lauren are a family with Delilah and then Ally and I are a family with Delilah.. .and I wasn't sure how you felt about... mixing them I guess? I don't know." I sat speechless for a moment, trying to think of a response. I never would have imagined Anthony felt unsure about our family that way. Sure, we weren't typical, but who is anymore? But our dynamic works for us and most importantly for Delilah.

"Anthony, we are all a family. All five of us." He looked up at me bashfully, so I put my hand in his shoulder for comfort. "Look, we aren't a typical nuclear family, but what we have works well for us all. Sure we have separate houses, but we aren't separate families. We're all here because of Delilah. To her, we are her family, just one family." I smiled softly and squeezed his shoulder at the end of my speech.

"Thanks pal, I guess i didn't realize that I really needed to hear that." He awkwardly patted my leg with a straight line, tight lipped smile. We both burst into laughter.