Ungrateful Soul

They stared down at me, and I tried my best not to cry. Their faces were horrified and confused, and I knew they were going to ask more questions. They would want more answers for each one, too. I looked down at the grass, avoiding their gaze.
"How... Shira," Kirito said, not completely there. "How... old are you?" I clenched my jaw. I don't want to answer, no no no. I'm bot saying anything. "Shira... how old are you?" He asked, sounding more stern and pressing.
"Kirito," Asuna said softly. "Don't... press so hard on her for an answer. She's been through trauma - just like us - but it having been her father that put her here..." she put a hand on his shoulder. "Be more gentle. She's probably the same age as us, but still." Kirito sighed and nodded. Asuna looked back at me. "Shirali," she said quietly. "Can you tell us what we ask? Please?"
She reminded me of someone, and I looked up at her. For a moment, I was reminded of Mary, and nodded. "Alright..."
"So... how old are you?" She asked calmly.
I looked at the ground again. "Since we've been in here two years... and I was that old when I got in here..." I raised my head slightly. "... I'm ten years old." I felt the air tense around me. "I was eight when we became trapped in Aincrad. My birthday is January first, so I'm... almost eleven."
Asuna put her hand over her mouth. "Oh my God... Akihiko is insane." Asuna's voice shook. Kirito kept his mouth closed, not looking at me. "He did this to you? You don't get to log out even for being his daughter? His family?"
I shook my head. "No. Of course not." I smiled. "I guess... cause that would spoil his fun and purpose for this game." I shook my head. "No... that's not right. We're... like a test. A hope to fulfill a broken dream of his, no doubt." I said calmly.
Asuna stepped towards me. "What do you mean?!" She yelled.
Kirito sighed. "So much for being gentle," he mumbled.
Asuna shot him a look that made him put up his hands for mercy. I felt tears run down my cheeks.
Would it be possible for, at least, my tears to escape this game? "It's nothing... he made this game for the reasons he stated. In here, it's clear to me I'm just like everyone else to him. A person."
Asuna shook her head. "That's not true, Shirali! You're his daughter! He cares, right?!"
I shook my head. "Not now. He used to... but I'm basically someone empty now."
"What do you mean?" Kirito asked me. He was frowning, which I didn't see often when I myself was near him.
"Also... please don't call me Shirali. My name is Shiramane, and I'm nothing but a Beater." My blood and words were cold. "I've... given up. I'm actually suprised by you two," I admitted. "You've stayed with me the longest... after all this time."
Asuna crouched in front of me. "Shirali-"
"Shira..." I said.
She frowned. "No. Shirali! Shirali, Shirali, Shirali! I'll call you that now that I know. It's your real name! I can't ignore it." She said to me, gently grabbing my shoulders. "Now you listen to me. We stayed with you because you're our friend. And being Akihiko Kayaba's daughter doesn't change that!" She shook me and got up. "Come on, now... lets get something to eat. If you want, we won't speak of this again."
I shifted slightly. "... not until the game's over?"
I saw her smile through my hair. "Sure. No problem. Right?"
Kirito nodded at her. "Yeah," he said.
I looked at them and stood up. They turned and I walked in between them. I smiled, hair swaying.
"Oh hey, Shirali?" I looked at Asuna. "Happy late birthday."
"Really late," Kirito said from my right.
I took a minute, then smiled more. "Thanks guys. Thanks..."

We ended up at yet another cafe in a town. We were laughing and telling stories of our real life. I had a few hilarious ones from my time in online games, like chat mistypes, wearing something rediculous, or even just joking around. It was fun with the two of them.