Battle

The date is December 3rd, 2022. We were on the First Floor, like usual, and in the Forest Field. I walked silently a few feet behind, yet still in front of Kirito and his team member, Asuna. I closed my eyes and prayed that we get there quickly. I wanted to lop the Boss's head off. It was time to begin to make him pay.

A blue haired man got our attention as we stopped outside the Boss Room. I heard from Kirito that his name was Diabel. I never really paid much attention to these sorts of things at first. I've learned the hard way it's not a good thing to get attached.
"Listen up, everyone," he said to us all. "I have one thing to say and I'll only say it once, so listen clear," he gave us a grin. "Let's win. Let's win and progress our way to freedom!!" Everyone around me cheered. I was one of the small few that stayed silent from under my cloak.
We entered the room and all walked inside. The door closed behind us once we were far enough in and the room lit up. The Boss roared. I grinned. While everyone else charged in teams and followed plans, I went my own way, running behind the Boss and ducking under its attack, attacking it with my own sword.
I had heard people say I was reckless. Yeah right.

It wasn't long before the boss was at low health. Diabel called us back, obviously changing the plan. He got ready to attack as the Boss changed its weapon, just as said in a guide we were given. I had one too, but I didn't need it. I'd made it to floor one hundred and knew everything.
But as fate woukd have it today, I was wrong. We all were.
My eyes went wide. 'But... that's a...'
It seemed Kirito noticed at the same time as me, for he yelled. "Diabel! Get out of there!!"
It was too late. The Boss swung it's sword, knocking the blue haired boy away. I stared in horror, feeling my heart drop. I even heard it shatter. My mind drifted off and I screamed something I couldn't make out or hear. Kirito ran to his side. I tried to move, I wanted to see him too! Help save him! I couldn't move. Just as I was about to be able to take a step forward, he pushed a healing vial away that Kirito had presented him. He said a few words that made Kirito notice something. I noticed as well. Diabel gace Kirito a quick smile. He caught my eyes as his body started to ripple. He smiled and said something. Everything was muffled so badly nothing coyld get pasy my ears but drowned out sounds. He closed his eyes and smiled.
His body disappeared into small, blue traingle shards, flying into the air. I choked on nothing, unableto breathe. I'd broken my promise.
I felt something snap inside me, as did Kirito. I suddenly started charging the Boss, Kirito and Asuna right behind myself.
"Switch!" Kirito yelled. We jumped out of the way as I ran to the back. Kirito and I performed the killing move in perfect sync, only mirrored. The Boss was destroyed into tiny triangle shards. Kirito landed as I fell to the ground. The room grew dark and ceased to glow with mesmerizing rainbow colors. It was now a dull stone gray.
People cheered, happy it was over. I sat up and gained a notification. A final kill. It shiuld have gone to Kirito, but... I didn't understand, I-
As I looked behind me I could see that he had received one too. Everything was still muffled as a guy started yelling at us. At Kirito. From reading his lips, there were a few things I could make out.
Diabel. Beta Tester. Cheater.
A Beater.
Kirito stood up, having equipped his new gear. A black cloak. He was shaking as if he was laughing.
I couldn't do it. I also couldn't figure out why I was so tired. I should have been-
I froze when I saw my HP gage. There was the smallest sliver of red left. 1% HP remaining.
My brain found this as a fun time to let myself bkack out. I hit the ground with a thud.

As I awoke I found myself in my room, a note on my table. From Kirito.

You blacked out majorly after the Boss. A friend and I dragged you back here. And Diabel... you know what he said, didn't you. You know... and you knew. You knew what he was thinking as he looked at you, what he wanted to say. I feel you two would have been good friends if you'd known him IRL. Get some rest, Shira. You'll need it.
Don't call yourself a Beater.
They won't let it go.
- Kirito

I stared at it. I stood up and looked to my window. It was open as well as the curtains, blowing gently in the wind as the blue moon dimly lit up my room.
It was at this very moment, as I took one step from my bed, that I recieved a message. A call, if you will, to video talk. And it was from one person I hated with a growing, burning passion.
Akihiko Kayaba.