Twenty One

"...River is here so you can finally meet her!" Katie's excited voice flows down the hallway, I don't register that she's coming back to the office until she's at the door, along with a brunette.

"Oh..sorry" Katie's voice is surprised, I turn away from my computer screen and see her looking from me to Harry, who is still gently massaging my shoulders.

Harry and I haven't spoken to each other since he began, I worked through my emails as his fingers got to work. I realise her embarrassment is from catching Harry and I and I find her reaction quite amusing. Harry's hands freeze and they're removed from my shoulders, the absence of them feels weird but I ignore my body.

"It's nothing, don't worry" I giggle as her cheeks flush. "You must be Lilia" I stand from my chair and walk over to the two women who are stood in the doorway. Lilia has a small, baby face and freckles litter her skin. Her eyes are a captivating blue and I find myself envying her.

She smiles at me and nods. "It's nice to meet you."

"You have literally been a life saver" I gush and her cheeks flush at my admiration.

"I'm just happy I get to work here, everyone is so nice and I love what I do" she smiles and tucks a stand of hair behind her ear. I hear Harry tut in disapproval for an unknown reason.

"Um...shall we go into the back room and get to work? I could use your input for the new collection" I suggest to Lilia, to take the attention from Harry's tut.

She agrees and follows me into the back room whilst Katie returns to the shop floor.

Lilia and I work for the next few hours. We sit, chat and sketch out a few ideas. Katie wonders in a few times to contribute an idea or two but is pulled away when the bell of the door informs us that a customer has entered the shop.

It is comforting being somewhere familiar, at least then I can convince myself that’s nothing has changed. I can tell myself that when 4:30pm rolls around, I’ll go back to my house, cook some dinner and sit on the couch and watch TV whereas, in reality I’ll be pulled back to the hell which is Harry’s life.

“River?” Lilia waves her small hand in front of my face; I blink a few times before looking at her.

“Sorry, I was thinking” I apologise and shift my attention back to the designs in front of us.

“I was saying how I think this is crazy how much we’ve done” she laughs nervously and I nod in agreement.

“I know right? I think we’re probably done, I’ll finalise everything the next time I’m in and then we’ll get to work with it all” a smile spreads across my face with excitement, “thank you for your help.”

“It’s fine” she assures me, and stands from her seat. “If that’s all I’m needed for then I should probably start on the new orders”

“Yeah that’ll everything, I won’t keep you from your work” I smile up at her and thank her again before she disappears into the supply cupboard.

I gather the sheets of designs into a small pile and bring them with me into my office. As I enter, I find Harry sat on my chair, one of his hands brushes through his hair as the other types away at his phone. I clear my throat when he doesn’t notice me and his eyes meet mine. He purses his lips, drawing my eyes to travel to his rosy lips. Just looking at them spurs memories of when our lips locked, my body screams out at the absence of our contact.

I don’t realise I’m staring, at least not until Harry clears his throat and that taunting smirk appears on his lips. That smirk alone is enough to tear my eyes from his lips; it makes me shiver despite the shop being warm. My cheeks flush and my eyes go to the floor as I ignore him and search through the filing cabinet to my left. I have no idea what I am looking for but anything that means I’m not being awkward around Harry is deemed important.