Chapter 3: Guilt Tripped

Marinette dragged herself to school that morning, wracked with guilt. She hadn't meant to hurt Chat Noir's feelings. She'd tried to act like a normal, star-struck fan and avert suspicion. But it was just so hard not to be comfortable around him. She'd fought with him. She knew him.

And now he thought she was mocking him.

She hung her head low and slumped in her seat beside Alya. Her eyes immediately flew to Marinette, "Girl, you won't believe what I saw last night. And I got the whole thing on video!" Marinette looked up as Alya placed her phone in front of her.

The video lasted the entire battle they'd had with the akuma, taken discreetly from behind one of the other parked cars. It played up until the point where Chat lifted the little girl in his arms and then the screen went black.

Alya sighed, "Who knew Chat Noir could be so great with kids."

Marinette chuckled and grinned coyly, "If I didn't know any better, Alya, I'd think you have a crush on Chat Noir."

Alya scowled and Nino whipped his head towards them. He yanked his headphones off and asked, "Who's got a crush on Chat Noir?" Adrien turned around to face them, but Marinette's heart sunk when he didn't even glance at her.

"Hold up." Alya raised her hand up and frowned, "I do not have a crush on Chat Noir." She glared at Marinette and put her phone back in her bag. "I just call 'em like I see 'em. It's Marinette you two should be asking."

Adrien's bright green eyes turned to Marinette and she froze, her pale skin warming under his soft gaze. "I -I don't know. Wh -What were we talking about?" she stuttered, turning her head to Alya. The red head smirked and Marinette felt her blush darken.

"Before I recorded this little number in the street I saw something very interesting going on." She leaned her head closer to Marinette, "Between you and Chat Noir."

Marinette's eyes widened, "What?"

"Oh you heard me." She leaned back in her seat and smiled triumphantly.

Nino frowned at them and scoffed, "No offense Alya, but I don't think Chat Noir would just be standing around chatting up girls. He's a superhero and cool one too."

"I don't know about that, Nino." muttered Adrien, "I hear Chat Noir can be a real flirt." He turned his head to Marinette and she nearly fainted at the depth of his eyes as they bore into her. They were beautiful. "What do you think, Marinette?"

Her mouth went dry and Alya kicked her feet from under the table. "Chat -Chat Noir?" asked Marinette. "W -well he's great. Super! Yeah -but not as great as you though! Because...who could be -you know?" she dropped her face in her hands and groaned.

She felt a Alya's hand on her back and looked up to see Nino smirking at them. "Now that I think about it, maybe Alya's got a point. You do get flustered when talking about Chat Noir." Adrien frowned at her and Marinette wished the ground would swallow her whole.

This was a disaster. If Adrien thought she had a crush on Chat Noir it would completely ruin her chances with him. She couldn't have that. He was the one she wanted. Adrien. Not Chat.

The school bell rang before Marinette could defend herself and Marinette was forced to complete the assignment handed out by Mrs Bustier in silence.