Chapter 20: Artistic Taste

"Do you really mean it, Marinette?" asked Nathaniel. Marinette turned the page in his sketchbook and found another drawing of Ladybug. Her alter ego was standing atop the Eiffel Towers addressing the people Paris before she and Chat Noir cleansed their first akuma.

The resemblance was uncanny and Marinette could hardly believe Nathaniel had paid so much attention to detail. He was truly talented. "Of course I do. In fact, I wish I could draw like this. Then maybe my designs would look just as good on paper as they do in my head.

Nathaniel smiled sweetly and turned his gaze ahead of them. "It's a shame Alya couldn't make it." he mumbled.

Marinette sighed and tucked his sketch book beneath her arm, "Yeah, but she loves babysitting her siblings. You should see her with Manon." She looked up at the warm, afternoon sky. "It's nice to be out the house after..."

Nathaniel nodded in understanding and they turned around the corner to the main street. They quietly walked across the road to the park gates and Nathaniel took the basket from Marinette's hands. "Have you been designing anything new lately?" he asked.

She nodded eagerly. "I've been working on another derby hat." Nathaniel led them towards the fountain and set the basket on the ground beside them. He then unpacked the picnic blanket and lay it over the ground.

"That's amazing. Can you describe it to me?" he asked. Marinette pulled out some of the pastries she'd packed and handed him one, her cheeks tinting pink.

"It's –Don't laugh, but it's kinda Chat Noir themed." Despite all her best efforts, Chat Noir had quickly become her inspiration. She'd made so many designs based off the black cat; half her sketch book was already full.

Nathaniel smirked and grabbed a pastry from her outstretched hand. "Why would I laugh at that?" he asked, "Have you see the comics I've been drawing?"

Marinette shook her head and Nathaniel inched closer to her until his knee brushed against hers. He reached over her for the sketchbook and skimmed through it until he reached the second last page. There stood the silhouettes of both Ladybug and Chat Noir.

Their faces weren't clear, but it was obvious from their positions on one of the Parisian roofs and Chat's ears. Marinette grinned at him. "So you're a Ladybug fan?"

He shrugged and placed the book on his lap, moving a few inches back. "I like them both. I mean, they both did save me and Chloe when I was akumatised."

Marinette bit her lip nervously and chuckled, "If you don't mind me asking, I was just wondering...I mean what..."

Nathaniel frowned at her. "You can ask me anything, Marinette. I won't judge you."

"It's just a kind of personal question." she mumbled.

That only egged him on. Nathaniel turned his body towards her, giving her his full and undivided attention. "I really don't mind, Marinette. What is it?"

"When you were akumatised, what did it feel like?" she asked. Nathaniel's face instantly darkened and Marinette grew worried that she'd said the wrong thing. Akumatised victims were often pushed away or isolated by those around him, especially in the days after they were cleansed.

"I –I'm sorry –,"

"You haven't been tempted have you?" he asked.

Marinette's head snapped up to him and she frowned, "Of course not." She crossed her arms over her chest and sighed. "Thankfully I've had good friends who've really helped me –like you." And Chat.

Nathaniel's eyes immediately softened and he offered her a sad smile. "I didn't even realize it at first. It doesn't even hurt." He leaned his head back against the fountain wall, "It's just like your moral compass gets turned backwards."