Chapter 46: True Love

Marinette couldn't focus on the class that day. Every word spoken never registered in her mind and every question asked never got more than a few incoherent mumbles in reply.

Her Chat Noir –the boy she'd fallen in love with –was Adrien Agreste, the boy who'd broken her heart and mended it again all on his own. Just like she'd done to him as Ladybug. And to think that all this time they could've been together.

But a part of Marinette knew things wouldn't be the same then. Now, instead of accepting both sides of him, she'd fallen in love with them. She treasured and adored them in ways she never knew she could, but why had he rejected her if he felt the same? Why hadn't he accepted her confession?

The bell rang, signalling the end of school and Marinette hurriedly packed her things, never once taking her eyes off the boy in front of her. She wanted to catch him, talk to him and have him explain to her. But he was already walking out the door with Nino before she could even call out to him.

Her heart pained and for a brief moment she doubted herself. She wondered if she'd been wrong about him, a little too hopeful, but Marinette knew her stitching, remembered the time it took designing the ears and carefully placed paw prints. She hadn't been wrong. Adrien was Chat Noir.

So why wasn't he waiting for her?

She felt Alya's hand on her shoulder, "Hey Marinette, Nino's coming over to my place this afternoon for movies and he says he's bringing Adrien. Wanna meet up there?" she asked.

Marinette smiled uneasily at the thought. "Sure, sounds fun." she replied.

"You okay, Girl?"

Alya placed her hand on her hip and eyed Marinette sceptically, but all she could do was nod and smile bashfully, "N –Never better!" Alya shook her head and walked with Marinette out towards the stairs of the school building.

Rain poured down from the sky in a heavy shower of cold droplets and Marinette reached out to feel them pound against her hand. Nino came up to Alya with an umbrella and they shared it between one another, gazing deeply into each other's eyes.

Marinette didn't miss the way their hands inched closes towards each other as they walked until they finally intertwined around the handle and she tried not to feel too disappointed. Chat always did things his own way. Maybe this was one of those times too.

She raised her head up and glanced around at the passing students, but with everyone holding umbrellas above their heads it was hard to distinguish Adrien's blonde hair.

Then she felt a hand grab hers and blushed when their fingers weaved with hers. His warm breath brushed against her ear and her breath hitched. "You didn't think I'd just leave you here, did you?" he whispered.

Marinette snapped her head around and found Adrien's taunting gaze only inches away from hers. She backed away instinctively and frowned, "Kitty?"

He smirked down at her and pulled the hood of his hoodie back above his head. The cat ears she'd sown on were a cheap imitation, but they helped break the spell of his miraculous and the familiarity in his face made her relax a bit. "The one and only, Purrincess."

"I –I don't understand." she mumbled, "That day I confessed to you, you turned me away. Why?"

Adrien shuffled nervously and scratched the back of his neck, "You see, I thought I was in love with someone else and in a way I guess I still am." He grinned, "I thought I was destined to be with Ladybug. Turns out I was after all."

"So this whole time...you knew and you never told me? When you kissed me as Adrien before I was taken by Hawk Moth did you...were you even thinking about how I felt? Why –,"