Chapter 32: Choosing

"It seems I can't take you anywhere." Nathaniel chuckled, "Every time there seems to be an akuma interrupting us."

"That's not true." replied Marinette, "Remember when we went out for ice-cream or what about that trip to the park? Those were peaceful."

Nathaniel glanced up to the sky and sighed, "I guess that's true." The bakery was only twenty minutes from the museum so it hadn't taken them long to get there, but after the whole ordeal with Nathaniel's date and the akuma straight afterwards, Marinette was exhausted.

Both her parents were out helping set up for an event nearby. They said they'd be back later, but they didn't specify and Marinette assumed it would only end much later.

She unlocked the front door and Nathaniel light brushed her hand with his. "Uh, Marinette?" he asked, "Would you mind if I stayed for a while. My parents are out for their anniversary and I wasn't expecting to be home so soon."

"And you could use the company?" Marinette smirked at Nathaniel's eager nod and sighed, "Sure, I don't mind." It would be the perfect opportunity to get what she had to say off her chest. The bakery was warm and cosy, smelling of warm vanilla and fresh bread.

It made her think of Chat Noir, bringing a smile to her face. "I'm actually working on this other design of mine." She said, "It would be really great if you could help me with it."

"It would be my pleasure." he replied, "Where should we go?"

Marinette pointed to the stairs, "My bedroom of course. My sketchbook should be on my desk already." Nathaniel's face turned a dark shade of red and Marinette blushed shyly in return. "Something wrong?" she mumbled.

Nathaniel shook his head, "No, it's just –," He shrugged and lowered his eyes roamed down to his shoes. "It's nothing. Really."

She did her best to ignore his reaction and the unease bubbling in her stomach. But she couldn't help it. Up until now, Adrien and Chat Noir were the only boys she'd ever allowed in her room. And the thought of bringing in Nathaniel felt like a betrayal.

But Chat didn't think of her that way and her chances with Adrien were over. There wasn't anything wrong with it. She was moving on from blondes and that way Chat could focus on his own feelings for the girl he loved.

Marinette opened the latch to her bedroom and held it open for Nathaniel. He peered inside, glancing about the walls and smiled. "It's really pink."

She rolled her eyes, "Yes, but it's my favorite color so you're just gonna have to deal with it." She closed the door behind him once he stepped inside and led him towards her desk. She picked up her sketchbook and opened it on the page of designs she'd done based on Chat Noir.

She'd already made him a hoodie, but she wanted to make one for herself too. Only this time she wanted it to be more feminine and flashy, but the details were so hard to draw. She brought it towards Nathaniel and showed him.

"Wow, Marinette. This is amazing." he said.

Marinette blushed at the bewilderment in his eyes and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, "Thanks, but like I told you before I'm nowhere near as good as you."

"No, don't ever think like that." he replied. His hand fell atop hers and the corners of his lips quirked, "You draw beautifully." His eyes hardened slightly, their turquoise hues darkening and Marinette frowned up at him.

"What is it?" She placed the book back on the desk.

He took a step back from her towards the middle of her room and stood there, clenching and unclenching his fists anxiously. "I've been meaning to confess something to you for a while now, Marinette." he murmured.