Chapter 12: Hers

"Miraculous Ladybug!" Ladybug threw the sunglasses into the air and in a flash of red and white everything went back to normal. The villain –Trickster –reverted back to herself and Chat Noir gently approached her.

The woman was an apprentice for one of Paris's most famous magicians. She'd apparently been undermined by him and fired from the set when she'd failed to set the stage up properly.

Ladybug watched intently as he spoke to her, comforting her and ensuring she was well enough to walk back home. Ladybug had never noticed it before, the tender tone he used or the concern and understanding in his inhuman eyes. Had he always done this? Been so considerate towards the victims?

He helped the woman to her feet and she walked off through the crowd with a slight smile and her head down. The people allowed her through and quietly returned back to what they'd been doing before. Chat walked back towards her with a bounce in his step and a cheeky grin plastered on his lips.

"Did you see if Alya got out safely?" she asked. He nodded and gestured nonchalantly behind him. Nino had grabbed her by the upper arms, pulling her back with very little success from the superhero duo. Ladybug couldn't help but grin.

Chat leaned in closer to her. "I was waiting for you to graciously thank me and confess your undying love for me. But I think I'll just leave those words unspoken and respond anyway."

He titled his head down to her and Ladybug pushed him away, smiling. "Not so fast kitty."

She felt so confident behind the mask and without her heart clouding her judgement her mind was clear. Chat was her partner, someone she loved and trusted. But Adrien was the one she was in love with. And that wasn't going to change, especially with his overzealous flirting.

His ring beeped and Ladybug glanced down at it. Perfect. "It looks like your time as prince charming is quickly running out, Chat Noir." She looked up at him and stared him dead in the eye. "I couldn't have cleansed that akuma without you. I hope you know that."

He shrugged. "We make a great team."

Ladybug placed her hand on his shoulder. "We make the best team." They fist bumped and Ladybug's earrings beeped. "Looks like I gotta split. See you around, Chat Noir."

She threw her yo-yo towards a nearby rooftop and it hook around one of the balconies. She glanced behind her as she flew out the park, watching Chat's thoughtful and adoring gaze.

It was kind of cute. Maybe...if she hadn't fallen in love with Adrien, if she hadn't met him at all, then Chat would hold that special place in her heart. It was all just a matter of time and Chat had come just a second too late. But she didn't regret it.

Falling in love with her partner would cause all kinds of complications and affect their team work. It was better this way, better not knowing.

She transformed back on the roof of the Mayor's hotel and sat herself down on one of the pool benches. Tikki flew out of her earring and floated in front of her. "Feeling better?" she asked.

"Yes." she replied, "Being Ladybug helps me get my thoughts in order and I feel a lot more..."

"At peace." finished Tikki. She giggled and flew back in Marinette's purse, shutting herself away from the outside world. Marinette glanced around the rooftop expectantly and Chat jumped over the railing a few feet away from her.

He grinned and hurried over to her side. "Sorry about the delay, Princess." He bowed gracefully in front of her and the tip of his tail-like belt brushed against her foot. "Milady and me were a bit preoccupied with the magic man."