Chapter 15: Just Another Friendly Gesture

Chat could tell by her expression that she was shocked to see him. Her jaw had dropped open and her movements were awkward and clumsy. He could hardly blame her. She probably didn't want to see him anyway.

He reached up and scratched the back of his head nervously, "Look if this is a bad time, I can always just –,"

"No." her voice was hoarse and pained, but she still managed a small smile. "You can come in if you want." She moved back down to her bed and Chat slid inside, shutting the trapdoor behind them both. Her room was dark with all the shades and curtains drawn. But two lamps were on left on; one beneath them and one by her bedside.

He knelt on her bed beside her and watched as Marinette snuggled back beneath her sheets, cuddling her soft cat-pillow. Chat smirked and lay down. His belt-like tail swung over her waist and his breath tickled her warm neck as he chuckled, "You know, I hear stuffed cats do a poor job of cuddling."

Marinette's sweet laughter rang out and she sighed, "Oh really? What makes you the cat expert?"

He frowned then and gently turned her over so she was looking straight at him. "Well, Princess." he muttered, "I actually happen to be one." His fake ears twitched above his head and Marinette's sweet laughter rang out again.

But he wasn't expecting her to touch him. Her warm fingers ran through his unruly fringe, sending shivers down his spine and tickling the surface of his scalp. It was such an unusual and welcome sensation.

Even though her eyes drooped, Chat was still enraptured by them. They were like Ladybug's, filled with fire and passion, but now they were calm and serene. He pulled her closer to him, until half his body was towering over her.

Her eyes snapped back down to his, slightly dazed and his voice faltered. "What are you thinking about?" he whispered.

"What do you think I'm thinking about?" Chat Noir's eyes softened and he discreetly moved his hand to her hair, all the while keeping his eyes on her. Ladybug had bluebell eyes as well, but he couldn't remember the last time he'd been able to look at them like he was with Marinette's.

She smiled, but it vanished when her body lurched forward and she shoved him back off the bed. He fell with a thud and hissed as his head collided with her wall. He rubbed it and peered up at Marinette while a coughing fit racked through her body.

He frowned at her and gently approached her when she was calm. He sat down beside her, trailing his hand along her back in the form of random shapes, and she fell limp against him. Her entire body was tired and deflated. "Sorry, Chat. I don't think I'll be good company today."

"Don't be stupid." He moved his hand along her back towards her shoulder and pulled her closer, "You're always good company, Marinette." She shut her eyes and snuggled into him, and Chat Noir rested his chin atop her head.

She looked so peaceful, but Chat felt restless. He couldn't get the thought out of his head. Her crush couldn't be Nathaniel could it? She'd avoided him after the Evillustrator incident, but that had been years ago. Could she have gotten over it? Could she have started liking him?

"That reminds me..." Chat twirled the flask in his hands and lightly tapped his hard nail against the metal. It clattered loudly and Marinette groaned at the sound, turning away from him and back to her bed.

"Cut it out, Chat." she muttered.

He chuckled softly and her eyes fluttered back open. He held the flask out in front of him, "It's a peace offering, for not making sure the window was closed properly last night."

"I knew it was you." Her voice was hard, but her smile was too kind. She carefully sat up and took the flask from his hands. "But you didn't have to get me anything." she stared at it thoughtfully and asked, "What's in it?"