Chapter 2: The Baker's Daughter

As soon as Chat Noir was out of sight Marinette sat up. She placed her weight on her right leg and hissed at the burning pain climbing her ankle. Tikki flew out from Marinette's purse and frowned. "Marinette? Will you be all right?" she asked.  

Her voice was soft, but urgent and Marinette sighed. It wasn't like she had a choice. She was Ladybug, the hero of Paris and right now both Paris and her kitty needed her. She couldn't get held back by such a small injury.

"I'll be fine, Tikki." She sent her kwami a small smile, "Tikki, Spots on!"

Tikki flew into her earrings and in a flash of blinding pink light her clothes transformed into the familiar skin–tight Ladybug suit. Her ankle didn't hurt as much with Tikki's magic flowing through her, but she knew she'd have to be careful.

Time to find Chat Noir and deal with the akuma.

Ladybug tossed out her yo-yo and leapt off the building into the street, swinging from roof to roof until she saw a flash of multi –colored light further ahead. She rolled onto the pavement beside Chat Noir and his eyes were on her in an instant.

"Milady." he murmured. He took her hand in his own as he bowed and bent down to kiss it. But Ladybug pulled away and pushed him back. Didn't he see that now wasn't the time for his pointless flirting?

"What's going on here?" she asked. Chat's eyes went from playful to serious, but the arrogant grin didn't leave his face.

"A little girl got laughed at during a concert. So she's vandalizing every building she comes across and traps people in those ribbons of hers. She calls herself –," Chat Noir bit his lip, his eyes glowing, "The Cackle Monster."

Ladybug rolled her eyes at him, "Really, Chat?"

"What? It's a catchy name."

He chuckled deeply and Ladybug saw ribbons flying their way. She ducked to the side, pulling Chat Noir with her and he groaned as he fell on the pavement. Large luminescent paint splatters covered the building behind them and Ladybug hissed, her ankle aching with strain.

A cackled came from the other side of the street and her shrill voice called out, "Who's laughing now, Ladybug and Chat Noir?"

Ladybug grabbed Chat's tail and pulled him with her behind one of the parked cars. Immediately paint splatters hit the other side of the car and long ribbons crawled around the edges, crushing the car beneath their weight.

Ladybug glanced over to Chat and nodded to him, "Ready, Chat?"

He smirked at her and wiped his eyes, "You know it, Bugaboo. Maybe she'll even get you to laugh at one of my jokes."

She rolled her eyes and after another hit they readied their weapons and flew into the street.

Ladybug broke the plastic tiara in half and dropped it in the street. An akuma squeezed out, stretching its dark wings as it took off. Ladybug withdrew her yo-yo and opened it, "No more evil doing for you little akuma." She swung her yo-yo, caught it inside and retrieved it.