Chapter 41: Romeo and Juliet

The villain had been hard to beat, but within the next half an hour Ladybug had successfully cleansed the akuma and everything had been set back to normal. It fluttered slowly into the air and she turned back to Chat, but he wasn't looking at her.

He craned his next over the roof, restlessly surveying the streets of Paris and clenched his baton tightly in his hand. "Chat?" she called. He glanced back at her and Ladybug wanted so badly to tell him not to worry, that she was right here behind him instead of hopelessly looming through the darkness.

Her lips parted, dry, but nothing came out. And Ladybug was struck with a daunting fear that made her breath catch. Their identities were necessary for the protection of those they loved, but now that Hawk Moth targeted her, the reason was invalid. She wasn't safe no matter what she did and she briefly wondered if Chat felt burdened because of it.

Chat turned to her more fully now, his head tilted to the side, "What is it?" Ladybug tried again. But her earrings beeped and she sighed. There was no point in sticking around if she couldn't find the courage to tell him. Then his ring beeped and she smiled sadly to herself. Sometimes he really did care too much.

"It's nothing." She unhooked the yo-yo from her waist and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, "Goodnight, Chat Noir." Ladybug swung all the way towards the Major's building and transformed back into her civilian self beneath the fire escape.

Tikki fell into her hands, exhausted but smiling, "You did great, Marinette." But Marinette felt less that accomplished. She hated lying to Chat Noir –hated that she wasn't strong enough to tell him the truth. "Cheer up, Marinette. I'm sure he'll understand when the time is right."

Marinette allowed Tikki to fly back into her purse and shut it tightly. She then peered out into the road and started walking once she saw no one was around to see her.

The night time air was pleasantly cool; reminding Marinette of the night Chat Noir first brought her home. He'd felt so guilty and Marinette had been completely blown away at the fact that her partner could be so genuine. It seemed like such a long time ago. The thought made her smile.

She rounded the corner and collided with someone. Her first thought was of Chat Noir and she looked up with a welcoming smile. But it wasn't him at all. Adrien stared down at her in a mixture of both relief and angst. He grabbed her face in his hands, startling her, and sighed.

"Thank God, Marinette." he breathed, "I was so worried about you."

She frowned and gently pulled his hands off her. "What are you talking about? Why are you here?" His face went pale and he took a large step back from her, folding his hands behind her. The streetlights were off, but Marinette could tell he wasn't wearing his usual outfit.

He was wearing something black, a hood and his hair was dishevelled. She found herself wondering where he'd been and what he'd been doing. Surely he wouldn't be allowed outside the house like that, especially without either Natalie or his bodyguard.

Adrien chuckled dryly and shifted his gaze to his shoes, "Uh –Well...I saw you being saved by Chat Noir and I kind of panicked." He sent her a small smile and Marinette's heart stopped, "I'm so relieved you're all right."

Something was different about him, his eyes were wide, his shoulders slouched and there was something unguarded about him –a vulnerability that felt unusual and yet utterly familiar. He reached for her hands, but Marinette subtly moved them to her sides. "Thanks, Adrien, but you shouldn't have worried. Chat Noir is more than capable of looking after me."

He smiled, "I suppose that's true. I was wondering if I could walk you home. It's pretty dark out and I doubt Chat would want you to be alone." Marinette bit her lip. What would Chat think if he found her walking alone at night with Adrien Agreste?